    Is there an alternative I can have ?
    I also have Avast free edition. Will it do without SuperAntiSpy ? Thank you.
    t-4-2

    t-4-2, Apr 4, 2009

  2. "t-4-2" <> wrote:

    >Vista Home Premium 32 bit , SP1.
    >I have SUPERAntiSpyware, free edition. It takes Forever scanning.
    >Is there an alternative I can have ?

    Malwarebytes, for one.

    >I also have Avast free edition. Will it do without SuperAntiSpy ? Thank you.
    >t-4-2

    The two have completely different purposes. Avast is for virus
    protection, SuperAntiSpy is for malware protection.

    Nate Grossman, Apr 4, 2009

  3. "t-4-2" <> wrote in message
    > Vista Home Premium 32 bit , SP1.
    > I have SUPERAntiSpyware, free edition. It takes Forever scanning.
    > Is there an alternative I can have ?
    > I also have Avast free edition. Will it do without SuperAntiSpy ? Thank
    > you.
    > t-4-2

    What slows spyware scanning down is the presence of Temporary Internet
    Files. Use Disk Cleanup to eliminate them first or use SpyBot S&D 1.6.2
    which gives you the option to clear them out before it starts to scan..

    --

    Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

    Mike Hall - MVP, Apr 4, 2009
  4. t-4-2

    Victek Guest

    >> Vista Home Premium 32 bit , SP1.
    >> I have SUPERAntiSpyware, free edition. It takes Forever scanning.
    >> Is there an alternative I can have ?
    >> I also have Avast free edition. Will it do without SuperAntiSpy ? Thank
    >> you.
    >> t-4-2

    > What slows spyware scanning down is the presence of Temporary Internet
    > Files. Use Disk Cleanup to eliminate them first or use SpyBot S&D 1.6.2
    > which gives you the option to clear them out before it starts to scan..
    >
    > Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
    > http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

    ..
    In addition you can run Disk Cleanup to get rid of temp files, old System
    Restore points and Shadow Copies. That will further reduce scan times.

    Victek, Apr 4, 2009
  5. t-4-2

    t-4-2 Guest

    I am afraid what Victek and Mike Hall had said this time could not apply to
    my situation.
    Prior to scanning with SuperAntiSpyware, I had done:
    1. CCleaner ( I had 4 restore points only 1 day ago ).
    2. Spybot Search and Destroy 1.6.2
    3. Avast scan
    In that order. SuperAntiSpyware took 4hrs. and 22 min. That's too much.
    I'd like to have a free edition for malware protection. Any suggestions ?
    Thank you.
    t-4-2

    t-4-2, Apr 4, 2009
  6. t-4-2

    Mike Torello Guest

    "t-4-2" <> wrote:

    >I am afraid what Victek and Mike Hall had said this time could not apply to
    >my situation.
    >Prior to scanning with SuperAntiSpyware, I had done:
    >1. CCleaner ( I had 4 restore points only 1 day ago ).
    >2. Spybot Search and Destroy 1.6.2
    >3. Avast scan
    >In that order. SuperAntiSpyware took 4hrs. and 22 min. That's too much.
    >I'd like to have a free edition for malware protection. Any suggestions ?

    Dump Avast and use Avira 9 - it includes real-time malware protection
    so once you install it, you shouldn't need to run any more scans.

    http://www.free-av.com/

    It does have a "nag screen" and a startup screen that can be annoying.
    The fix for both of those is here:

    http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm

    Mike Torello, Apr 4, 2009
  7. t-4-2

    t-4-2 Guest

    RE : Avira 9
    Does Avira 9 also scan e-mails like Avast ? If yes, do I have the option to
    decline ?
    t-4-2

    t-4-2, Apr 4, 2009
  8. t-4-2

    Mike Torello Guest

    "t-4-2" <> wrote:

    >RE : Avira 9
    >Does Avira 9 also scan e-mails like Avast ? If yes, do I have the option to
    >decline ?
    >t-4-2

    No... only its Pro version scans email.

    Mike Torello, Apr 4, 2009
  9. t-4-2

    Mike Torello Guest

    "t-4-2" <> wrote:

    >RE : Avira 9
    >Does Avira 9 also scan e-mails like Avast ? If yes, do I have the option to
    >decline ?
    >t-4-2

    BTW... all questions about Avira can easily be answered by visiting
    their site.

    Mike Torello, Apr 4, 2009
  10. t-4-2

    t-4-2 Guest

    Right. Will check it out. Thank you.

    t-4-2, Apr 4, 2009
  11. t-4-2

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Get rid of Spybot. It is not needed. SuperAntiSpyware will be at least 10 times
    faster. Mine does the job in 24 minutes and I doubt your HD is not as full as mine
    in terms of files.

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes, Apr 5, 2009
  12. t-4-2

    t-4-2 Guest

    Peter,
    You have not read my last reply.
    My SuperAntiSpyware free edition took 4 hours and 22 min. scanning, ( full
    scan ).
    Spybot took about 20 min. at most.
    t-4-2

    t-4-2, Apr 5, 2009
  13. t-4-2

    Peter Foldes Guest

    I read it and understood it. Hence my reply.

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes, Apr 5, 2009
  14. t-4-2

    t-4-2 Guest

    Ok. Then why was my not-so-SuperAntiSpyware too so long ? That is the main
    reason I am looking for a different software. A Free edition for the cheapy.

    t-4-2, Apr 5, 2009
  15. t-4-2

    Mike Torello Guest

    "t-4-2" <> wrote:

    >Ok. Then why was my not-so-SuperAntiSpyware too so long ? That is the main
    >reason I am looking for a different software. A Free edition for the cheapy.
    >t-4-2

    I've not used that one for ages... does it have the option of a "quick
    scan" vs. a "deep scan" or something similar in the way of options?
    The latter WILL take a long time, and is unnecessary.

    Mike Torello, Apr 5, 2009
  16. t-4-2

    Kayman Guest

    On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 14:02:36 -0400, t-4-2 wrote:

    > I am afraid what Victek and Mike Hall had said this time could not apply to
    > my situation.
    > Prior to scanning with SuperAntiSpyware, I had done:
    > 1. CCleaner ( I had 4 restore points only 1 day ago ).
    > 2. Spybot Search and Destroy 1.6.2
    > 3. Avast scan
    > In that order. SuperAntiSpyware took 4hrs. and 22 min. That's too much.
    > I'd like to have a free edition for malware protection. Any suggestions ?

    Go to:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/support.html?tag=SUPERANTISPYWARE&trial=no&activated=no&appid={610839F6-D9C8-483C-A9EA-F4F90DBEED2A}
    state your problem and submit a Customer Supprt Request.

    Kayman, Apr 5, 2009
  17. t-4-2

    ---Fitz--- Guest

    You do realize that neither SAS free or MB free include real time scanning?

    ---Fitz---, Apr 6, 2009
  18. t-4-2

    Mike Torello Guest

    "---Fitz---" <> wrote:

    >You do realize that neither SAS free or MB free include real time scanning?

    You mean real time monitoring, not scanning.

    Free Avira 9 does, and so does Defender.

    Mike Torello, Apr 6, 2009
  19. t-4-2

    ---Fitz--- Guest

    I meant that neither SuperAntispyware free nor MalwareBytes free provide
    real time protection because they don't scan files in real time...eg when
    they are downloaded, opened, or closed. They are "on demand scanners".
    These two programs target malware, adware and the like... not viruses.

    I have no experience with Avira free but I thought it was an anti-virus
    program. According to Avira free info page
    http://www.free-av.com/en/products/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html:

    ******************
    Avira AntiVir Personal - FREE Antivirus is a reliable free antivirus
    solution, that constantly and rapidly scans your computer for malicious
    programs such as viruses, Trojans, backdoor programs, hoaxes, worms, dialers
    etc. Monitors every action executed by the user or the operating system and
    reacts promptly when a malicious program is detected.

    Avira AntiVir Personal is a comprehensive, easy to use antivirus program,
    designed to offer reliable free of charge virus protection to home-users,
    for personal use only, and is not for business or commercial use. Available
    for Windows or UNIX.

    *******************

    Regards

    ---Fitz---, Apr 9, 2009
  20. t-4-2

    Mike Torello Guest

    "---Fitz---" <> wrote:

    >Avira AntiVir Personal - FREE Antivirus is a reliable free antivirus
    >solution, that constantly and rapidly scans your computer for malicious
    >programs such as viruses, Trojans, backdoor programs, hoaxes, worms, dialers
    >etc. Monitors every action executed by the user or the operating system and
    >reacts promptly when a malicious program is detected.

    So... what do you think "Trojans, backdoor programs, hoaxes, worms,
    dialers etc." are????

    They aren't viruses, old bean.

    Mike Torello, Apr 9, 2009