Spy Sheriff - so how do people get infected w/ this thing?

Todd H.

I've now had two friends get nailed with this Spy Sheriff rogue
anti-spyware app. While I've managed to clean up the infections (and
there are several resources on that out there on the net to help with
that) for these folks, but what I'm most interested in is:

"Where/how are people getting this?"

Both are XP SP2 users. What's concerning is that this second buddy of
mine is a person that's generally careful and does all the stuff yer
supposed to do to use windows semi safely (not use IE or OE, he uses
Mozilla v1.7.8 to surf and read email, has XP sp2 w/ windows updates
enabled, knows not to click on things in emails, keep the antivirus
scanner updated religiously, periodically scan with ad aware se, etc),
yet he STILL got infected. The only thing he does that I don't
recommend is that he does have an AOL account and runs their stuff
periodically to connect to them. Software is AOL 9.0 AOL
16.4184.5300.

So does anyone happen to know the vulnerability/sites where folks are
picking this up?

For those who haven't seen it, it's a tricky friggin program
apparently. It somehow gets installed, and then pops up telling you
it's detected all sorts of malware and offers to clean it up, but then
stonewalls the (typical) user from doing anything else with their
computer until they register the software and pony up their money.

As in:
http://elamb.blogharbor.com/hacked/removespysheriff.htm

Helpful in cleanup:
http://www.bullguard.com/forum/12/Spy-Sheriff-got-me-Please-help_25398.html

Best Regards,

Vanguard

Todd H. said:
[...]

Your friend could run System Restore and look at the checkpoints saved
therein. If it triggered due to an install, it lists what triggered it. He
might see whatever he installed for awhile back. Your friend should also
get accustomed to saving a checkpoint before performing an install and
noting why he created the checkpoint. Your friend probably got it from
something else he installed; i.e., it was bundled in something else. Your
friend should also reconfigure their browser to prompt for ActiveX downloads
so he/she knows when some site is trying to pushing one onto their computer.
AX is another method of delivery for this rogueware.

Max Wachtel

(e-mail address removed) AKA Todd H. on 1/2/2006 in

From: "Leythos" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Spy Sheriff - so how do people get infected w/ this thing?
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 10:52:31 -0800
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.security.misc

Please note that PCBUTTS1 is the poster of the above message using my
NickName "Leythos". He posts from the above host, which you can validate
in the Usenet headers, since Microsoft deletes his posts from their
servers due to his lack of ethics, his theft of others code, and his
violations of their Usenet standards.

As a "formal" request, for documentation reasons, I request that you
stop using my name to forge posts. You have been warned now.