Springtime

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, following on from nivrip's excellent picture posts and taffycat's request for me to post pix if I went for a walk round Greenwich Park, here's some pix.

They are all resized from 4000 pixels wide to 800 to make them forum friendly. I have edited them down to 27 pix from about 100 pix.

No captions but basically this afternoon about 2.30 I went for a walk in Greenwich Park hoping to get some good birdy pictures.

Where was they? There were about a million pigeons, 6 ducks, no geese, no ducklings. Damn.

Which is why there be not a lot of birdy pix.

The park was busy, lottsa folks on Easter Monday, picnic-ing, laughing, rounders, cricket, baseball, football, foldup chairs, all kindsa folks, was good.

Spring is most defiinitely here, the park is a riot of colours, blossoms everywhere, I have not included all pix, as I said, but there's a wealth of colours in Britain's parks right now.

Around 3.30 me mate phoned me and said 'We're down the Cutty, coming for a drink?' Now,I don't normally like to drink during the day but the weather was good so I thought 'Why the hell not?' So basically I got rather tipsy, got home at 7.30pm, ate my home made chicken tikka masala, fell asleep for about an hour and woke up feeling really rather good, which was unexpected.

Some of you may recall my farm pix, and pix of Jill on the tractor.

We'd swapped e-mails. She's a gardener.

Last night I phoned her and we spoke for about 30 minutes. We spoke of plants and her brother, who has bladder cancer but is going to be ok, it seems.

I can't remember a bloody thing, lol, this alcohol is a blight, heehee.

Anyway folks, on with the pix, you work 'em out for yourself :D

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

Reaction score
We'd swapped e-mails. She's a gardener.

Last night I phoned her and we spoke for about 30 minutes. We spoke of plants

I can't remember a bloody thing, lol, this alcohol is a blight, heehee.

Wooohooo Uncle Flopps has pulled....Erm not always a good idea to be calling woman when under the influence...lol..I know the feeling though...

Edit: Ooops sorry nearly forgot....Lovely pics

Last edited:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Top bombing Mr Flopp's..:nod: Looks like the girl in pic 22 with the tattoo on her shoulder has had a little too much to drink, as she has an imaginary glass in her hand and is about to try to drink out of it..:D :lol:

Thanks for sharing mate..Great pics

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That was a most enjoyable tour Flopps. There's a tendency to always think of London as being totally built-up, yet (like in most cities, I guess) there are places of living beauty to be found. Greenwich park looked really colourful and must be a great place to spend a leisurely afternoon.

Thank you for sharing them with us - ooh, by the way, did you ever discover what your new balcony plants are? And did I miss the photos of those (don't think I did...?)

:D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Nice pics Flops.

Hard to beat a nice spring day. :thumb: And, unusually, the weather here over the bank holiday weekend has been great. :eek:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Wooohooo Uncle Flopps has pulled....Erm not always a good idea to be calling woman when under the influence...lol..I know the feeling though...

Hey, someone needs to hose you down mate :D

Jill and I were only friends 38 years ago and we're only friends now ;)

Neither of us have a current partner, so no jealous spouse threatening to knock me block off ;)

I will very likely visit her to go plant hunting soon though so hopefully it will be nice to have a good rabbit.

Taffycat:

Pix of patio plants below. I have e-mailed these pix to Jill so hopefully she'll identify them for me. Of course if anybody else here knows what they are, pray tell :)

I re-potted the spiky one, it was in a plastic pot about the same size. All of the soil is full of root. It may be my imagination but I think the top half of the spiky plant has got lighter since I've had it. The pix below show it on arrival on 4th April and yesterday on the 13th April. Views?

And does this mean it's thriving or dying?

It had been neglected for several months and has brown tips on some leaves where it's withered a bit.

Anyhow, the pix, the 4th April one first:

attachment.php

attachment.php

And the other two, I'll be making some wooden pots/enclosures for these.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Then 04-04-09.jpg
    Then 04-04-09.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 388
  • Now 13-04-09.jpg
    Now 13-04-09.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 355
  • The other two.jpg
    The other two.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 352

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I'm not "Penelope Thrower" but can take a shot, until you speak with your friend again. Going for the "easy" ones first, the variegated shrub looks like "Euonymus" (which we have in a tub outside here). It is usually pretty hardy. Its friend is Hedera (ivy if you don't want to be posh lol) but you probably know that already.

The spikey "palm" type plant is a member of the Cordyline family I think. We haven't got any of these, but I would think the brown leaf tips are probably the result of over/under watering, before it came into your care. (This is what happens to some other plants, such as those indoor "spider plants" if you don't get the watering right.) The top part looks as if it is now making healthy growth. Linky If you scroll down a bit, you will find some that look very similar to yours, such as the "Cordyline australis x kaspar" or "Cordyline Karo Kiri" (a mouthful, isn't it :rolleyes: )

I reckon they will be happy on your nice balcony. :D

Edit: Linky wasn't working very good, so here it is in full just in case it won't function for you either. http://www.nzplantpics.com/sfeature_galleries/cordyline_gallery.htm

Ask a Question