speed and reliability of the CPU and the DATA cable

New Orleans Novice

Hi ,

Can you disconnect the 2nd data cable from the CD Rom and connect a 2nd HD
to it?

How is the speed and reliability of the CPU and the DATA cable affected by
using one HD or using 2 HD's?

How would you connect the average XP home PC to work with heavy duty Multi
Media Video, etc. with 1 or more DATA cables and 1 or more HD's?

Regards,

Novice in New Orleans, Louisiana, Enjoy Your Gumbo
XP Home ; Presario 2.6 ; 1GIG RAM

Ralphy

To the best of my knowledge, as long as you have the fastest device on the
end plug of a cable, you can have any device on it. The other devices can
only go as fast as the end one.

Lil' Dave

New Orleans Novice said:
Hi ,

Can you disconnect the 2nd data cable from the CD Rom and connect a 2nd HD
to it?

How is the speed and reliability of the CPU and the DATA cable affected by
using one HD or using 2 HD's?

How would you connect the average XP home PC to work with heavy duty Multi
Media Video, etc. with 1 or more DATA cables and 1 or more HD's?

Regards,

Novice in New Orleans, Louisiana, Enjoy Your Gumbo
XP Home ; Presario 2.6 ; 1GIG RAM

Food for thought, considerations. Data is kept in RAM for copying to
another hard drive. Hard drives are dealt with independently in the case of
IDE, and USB. Scsi has allowances for simultaneous usage of its hard
drives. Firewire has a similar asset as its written into its firmware.
Slaves can affect masters speed on ide. The availabilty of free RAM is much
a part of the picture as anything else. Swapfile location in RAM, on the
local boot partition and so forth, the swapfile size also plays a part.
System restore enabled on non windows partition can also affect performance
as may interrupt the ongoing process by slowing it down. The use of a
timed standby or hibernate on a user not interacting PC can kill a process
ongoing, or affect it at the very least. Opening and using other
applications can also affect other ongoing processes.
--
Dave

How about a tax to support any military conflict/police action over 3 months
old?

An actual war, we can do what's been done in the past.

New Orleans Novice

I thought maybe 1 HD for C:\ the OS and a 2nd HD for D:\ the VIdeo DATA
files.

The 2nd idea of a 2nd Data cable IF it worked on a 2nd HD for more speed
and/or reliability while runing heavy duty Multi Media video, etc.

If there is a 2nd HD will one DATA cable be faster as it only has so much
band width? Or with 2 HD's is it more reliable with the OS and programs
running from the C:\ Drive and the Video DATA files located on the 2nd D:\
Drive?

Thanks for your help and tips ; LsuEdu @ New Orleans Louisiana

Paul

New said:
Hi ,

Can you disconnect the 2nd data cable from the CD Rom and connect a 2nd HD
to it?

How is the speed and reliability of the CPU and the DATA cable affected by
using one HD or using 2 HD's?

How would you connect the average XP home PC to work with heavy duty Multi
Media Video, etc. with 1 or more DATA cables and 1 or more HD's?

Regards,

Novice in New Orleans, Louisiana, Enjoy Your Gumbo
XP Home ; Presario 2.6 ; 1GIG RAM

This is a long read, but you'll be a better person if you finish it.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/conf.htm

The best data cables, are the ones with 80 wires (thinner wire).

The connector on the end of the cable should be populated first,
for signal integrity reasons. Placing a single drive on the middle
connector, means the end connector is a giant stub. And the
reflections upset the data and mean the transferred data can
be corrupted. That is why a single drive, goes on the end of the
80 wire cable.

The transfer rates of the two drives on the cable, for modern devices,
are independent of one another.

Obviously, if two drives are on the same cable, the computer
can only talk to one drive at a time. Consult the above guide,
for more comments on the subject of sharing the cable.

Paul

Farad'n

Hi ,

Can you disconnect the 2nd data cable from the CD Rom and connect a 2nd HD
to it?

How is the speed and reliability of the CPU and the DATA cable affected by
using one HD or using 2 HD's?

How would you connect the average XP home PC to work with heavy duty Multi
Media Video, etc. with 1 or more DATA cables and 1 or more HD's?

Regards,

Novice in New Orleans, Louisiana, Enjoy Your Gumbo
XP Home ; Presario 2.6 ; 1GIG RAM
What does this have to do with the OS? NOTHING. It is purely
hardware related and since it does not involve XP does NOT belong
here.

Ask elsewhere

New Orleans Novice

Hi Paul,

Very good.

Thanks for the intelligent detailed reply. I may test by moving the ( COMPAQ
PRESARIO S5100 ) IDE Data cable to a 2nd HD. The PC CPU 2.60GHz may be
faster with the XP Home OS / and Video Programs / hitting the C:\ Drive and
the Video DATA files hitting the D:\ Drive.

Also each HD would use its own DATA cable.

Gary @ New Orleans

Ed Covney

Paul said:
What does this have to do with the OS? NOTHING. It is purely
hardware related and since it does not involve XP does NOT belong
here.

Ask elsewhere

Farad'n (aka Paul Thoroughgood, aka Maudib) -

I see your signiture changed, but not your message. By the way,
if you really want a make-over (a new signiture) you must change
ISPs and the electronic path to this board (Although Australians
are at a big disadvantage in that respect). And if you keep the
old ISP as well, you can pretend to be two people; each greatly
appreciating the wise words of the other. What genius!

For a 42 year old who outta know better, you can change your
signitiure a million times, it won't matter. If all you can offer is
"does NOT belong here", it's the message that we don't need.

By the way Paul, are you still slummin' in Taigum?

Ed

Farad'n

Farad'n (aka Paul Thoroughgood, aka Maudib) -

You've missed several:
NoneofYourBusiness
NoConseqence
PaulMaudib
LetoII
Farad'n

Be more thorough it you want to try and bait me.
I see your signiture changed, but not your message. By the way,
if you really want a make-over (a new signiture) you must change
ISPs and the electronic path to this board (Although Australians
are at a big disadvantage in that respect). And if you keep the
old ISP as well, you can pretend to be two people; each greatly
appreciating the wise words of the other. What genius!

Australian? I'm not from Australia. Or maybe I am. It doesn't
matter. I post through a news server that strips headers and IP
addresses, and what I post is the truth whether you like it or not.
For a 42 year old who outta know better, you can change your
signitiure a million times, it won't matter. If all you can offer is
"does NOT belong here", it's the message that we don't need.

No, it's a message you don't want to HEAR, which is the ugly truth.
By the way Paul, are you still slummin' in Taigum?

No.

Lil' Dave

SATA, I've found, can do copies faster on a 2nd identical hard drive rather
than the one windows is run on.
ATA/ide, doesn't make any difference if using identical hard drives. Again,
a slave can affect the performance of the master on the same cable. See my
prior reply (which you deleted in the past reply) for other concerns.

JohnO

I post through a news server that strips headers and IP
addresses, and what I post is the truth whether you like it or not.

A troll, a coward, and a liar all at the same time.

Brian A.

Farad'n said:
Australian? I'm not from Australia. Or maybe I am. It doesn't
matter. I post through a news server that strips headers and IP
addresses, and what I post is the truth whether you like it or not.

San Diego State University and Global Crossing in Pheonix Arizona have both
been notified.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Windows Desktop User Experience }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

New Orleans Novice

I have your previous reply saved. If I buy a new RIG maybe it will have PCI
X and / or SCSI.

This PC only has PCI and 2 IDE channels on the MB so on a test the 2nd DATA
cable will be removed from the CDROM and connected to a 2nd HD used for DATA
only just to test if it will work and boot up.

Someone sent this link which was very informative;
Sent by PAUL:
This is a long read, but you'll be a better person if you finish it.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/conf.htm

The best data cables, are the ones with 80 wires (thinner wire).

New Orleans Novice

How can you tell where the troll sent it from?

From: Farad'n <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Subject: Re: speed and reliability of the CPU and the DATA cable
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 19:54:11 -0500

Farad'n

A troll, a coward, and a liar all at the same time.
Nope. Not a coward or a liar. My news provider strips my headers and
IP, not me. Further, not a liar either - I post the TRUTH which none
of you wants to hear.

A troll - depends on the viewpoint. To me, YOU are the troll
disputing the truth of MY posts - that they don't belong on THIS
board.

Farad'n

San Diego State University and Global Crossing in Pheonix Arizona have both
been notified.

And that matters how? I'm from neither - or maybe I am. What
difference does it make? I'm only pointing out the TRUTH, which you
trolls and dumbasses don't like to hear.

Lil' Dave

New Orleans Novice said:
I have your previous reply saved. If I buy a new RIG maybe it will have
PCI X and / or SCSI.

This PC only has PCI and 2 IDE channels on the MB so on a test the 2nd
DATA cable will be removed from the CDROM and connected to a 2nd HD used
for DATA only just to test if it will work and boot up.

Someone sent this link which was very informative;
Sent by PAUL:
This is a long read, but you'll be a better person if you finish it.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/conf.htm

The best data cables, are the ones with 80 wires (thinner wire).

Irregardless the gauge of the wire, the 2nd set of 40 wires are for
grounding out reflections on the active side of the other 40 wires for the
80 wire versions of IDE/ATA ribbon cable. By reflections, I mean the pulsed
data that may be felt on an adjacent wire or wires creating false/bad data.
I didn't read it as am familiar with IDE/ATA. Hopefully, you never meet the
old WD and Maxtor monster.

New Orleans Novice

Hi Farah Farad,

That is a girl's name so you need to move over to other forums like; Washing
Dishes or Mopping Floors.

When you are in New Orleans call me so I can take you Alligator hunting in
the Louisiana swamps.

Be careful and don't fall in the water.