Windows XP Specific problem with bootmagic

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here and I've been desperate to find an answer to my problem. So I registered here in hopes of getting an answer lol :(

I used to use 2 operating system on 1 hd, a fat32 win98 and a ntfs winxp. Everything worked fine with bootmagic UNTIL I upgraded my computer to a new motherboard and cpu. I now got a P3 450MHz.

Now when I install another operating system with partition magic, everything goes well but when I install bootmagic, at the bootup, just before I get the bootmagic screen, the computer just freezes.

Now I tried using ONLY the bootmagic rescue floppy and not installing bootmagic. It doesn't work either, I can only boot on the LATEST operating system I installed.

If anybody have an idea whats going on, I would really appreciate the help.

Thx alot

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You upgraded to a P3 450Mhz? :confused:

If you're running just Win 98 & Win XP, you don't need Boot Magic.

Install Win 98 first to Primary partition, then install Partition Magic and partition if neccessary, then install Win XP to second partition.

Windows will present you with a choice of OS's at boot.

If you wish to add a Linux system, then GRUB will also offer you the choice to load Linux or Windows.

You don't need Partition Magic.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
You upgraded to a P3 450Mhz? :confused:

If you're running just Win 98 & Win XP, you don't need Boot Magic.

Install Win 98 first to Primary partition, then install Partition Magic and partition if neccessary, then install Win XP to second partition.

Windows will present you with a choice of OS's at boot.

If you wish to add a Linux system, then GRUB will also offer you the choice to load Linux or Windows.

You don't need Partition Magic.

Yes the cpu and motherboard+case was given to me so why not? I had a P2 400Mhz. The only thing I do is surfing the web I don't need more.

I already tried what you are suggesting here but the problem (on the ''new'' computer) is that when I use fdisk to create partitions, it doesn't recognize de size of the drive. It says I have 900Mo, wtf.

I didn't have this problem with my old computer.

Thx for the reply

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
So don't use fdisk :)

As I said above, format drive, install Win 98, install PM8, create partitions.

Sorted :)

Ask a Question