Speakers for my car

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
As Flops said it, a 65 watt amp (8 Ohms) will give out 100 watts at 4 Ohm, that is how a good amplifier will behave. Similarly a very good amp of 100 watts will be giving out 170 watts at 4 Ohms. However the best amps actually double the output meaning 100 watts at 8 Ohms and 200 watts at 4 Ohms and have the capability of driving a 2 Ohm load giving an out put of 400 watts. These specs are generally for Solid State amps and there are exceptions as well.

Almost 70 to 80 percent of the amps grunt is required to reproduce bass, whereas no more than 5 percent is needed to reproduce the high frequencies. The balance required to drive the midrange.

All the speakers below 8 Ohms are current hungry and all the speakers above 8 Ohms are voltage hungry, this may explain why car speakers are generally specified at 4 Ohms.

A speaker specified as 15/16 Ohms will actually turn a 100 watt amp into a tiny 50 watter.

Chris, don't get carried away in the wattage game, REAL watts QUALITY watts cost a gread deal of money, I will not go into any more detail as I concur with what Flops has already said on this thread.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I don't know a huge deal about car speakers (even though I worked in Halfords for 2 years) but my suggestion would be to go to a car audio shop and have a play around. Facts and figures are all well and good, but it's best to know what the sound is going to be like :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Sexy Bex said:
Facts and figures are all well and good, but it's best to know what the sound is going to be like :D

This is the best part of the best message on this thread :D

Reaction score
Yeah...

I might try and save up for this package, will take a while, but i shall try. The speakers aren't bright red and should look neat and discreet on my parcel shelf...

My mate has the same speakers - the infinity ones, so i will listen to his and see what i think... thats even better than playing around in the local shop!

And if i run a sub and an amp, two things highly reccomended by people on another forum, it should sound too good. Shame about the price though...

Reaction score
speakers

Mate i've noticed all the threads you've got here. And if you havent already gone and bought something then ask me any questions. I've been fitting car audio for over four years and it sounds like your a bit miffed.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hello Murk

This thread is over a year and a half old...but i commend you for taking the time to reply...

I think Chris has probably changed his car and his speakers by now....Hope you bought some decent ones in the end chris..

And had i seen this thread first time round, could of given you the info you needed on what speakers to get....As i have some beasts in my car which are absolutely amazing both vocally and for bass...

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I know its off topic chris but this thread is over a year and a half old so..

have you still got your car and how do you get on in Cambridge with it as you can't drive there can you...

Reaction score
Yup - still got my baby :)

I have to get the bus too and from Cambs - its a 4 and a half hour ride, costs £30 so its not something i do too often!!

I miss driving around!!

Ask a Question