Speaker volume fluctuations !?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i have the dell soundbar which is a 5.1 setup plugged into my motherboard (Asus A8N-SLI premium), has worked fine since i've had it but i've just noticed today that the volume is erratic

if i set the volume to a level and listen to music it comes out fairly quiet but every so often it jumps to the correct level which is much louder. i've narowed it down to the speakers themselves or something in them (theres something clever in them as they only have three input lines for a 5.1 setup :confused: )

it does exactly the same on my other PC so i think i've damaged something

i've been playing music pretty loud the last few days could that have damaged something inside the sub or something ?

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You may have "blown" them, especially as it is happening on any PC.

Quad or Floppy may be able to enlighten you further. :thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Erratic volume control could also mean that the volume control has dust and moisture which is hindering the signal at the output stage, if so it needs to be cleaned by a contact cleaner and should work out fine. Have you thought of this possibility?

The only requires you to access the the volume pod by opening the cover and spray the contact cleaner to get rid of the behavior.

Let us know after you check it.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i did think about a dodgy controller but dismissed it as it seems to work ok, i'll open it up and take a look though just to make sure

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i tried to open it up, removed all the screws etc but couldn't work out how the thing comes apart so put all the screws back and its working fine now so i think you could be right about it being the volume controller

Ask a Question