Spamihilator, K9. Brief tryout (Bayesian spam filter-ware)

M

MsOsWin

Better export your OE mail accounts before installing (setup wizard) Spamihilator, because Spamihilator alters server values in
connections tab of each OE account. And it has trouble with YPOP (pop3 interface to send & receive yahoo's webmail. YPOPs
was named YahooPOPs in previous version 6)

The way Spamihilator setup translates regular domain or IP in each OE account. But both YPOPs and Spamihilator use
localhost, and Spamihilator setup doesn't seem to be able to translate Ypop's localhost.

And, I *think* Spamihilator wipes out YPOPs special outgoing settings by unchecking the box in OE connections tab.

I've fiddled with the OE account entries, but haven't got it working.

I got K9 working with multiple OE accounts. Perhaps because I'm using ypops, I had to manually edit the accounts in OE. But
K9 seems less mysterious.
While setting up/configging, it helps to keep a browser window open with various help pages open. Minimum paranoid
requirement for me was to get my friendlies' addresses into the Whitelist.

Also trying Thunderbird. (Tbird/MozMail filters are cumbersome to setup IMO, but serve as Whitelist, I assume)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=+++Bayesian

B

badgolferman

I got K9 working with multiple OE accounts. Perhaps because I'm using
ypops, I had to manually edit the accounts in OE. But K9 seems less
mysterious. While setting up/configging, it helps to keep a browser
window open with various help pages open. Minimum paranoid
requirement for me was to get my friendlies' addresses into the
Whitelist.

My e-mail filter of choice also. It has worked great for me for 3
years and I have installed it on many friends' machines. They are
highly pleased also.

M

MsOsWin

i tried k9 on an IMAP account. learned k9 does only POP. :)

So I got sp (spamihilator) working.

next i wanted both k9 and sp compatible, so i changed the pop port in sp. In sp, the POP port is not actually doing anything
because i'm not using sp for POP. i changed POP port in sp just to keep either sp or k9 complaining that the POP port was in
use (by whichever of the two apps was loaded first).

kier has a nice list of ports. keir.net/portlist.html

i'm rather ignorant about ports. i will see what might be reported when i try an online scanner while all these apps are loaded.
(inckuding Ypops)