SP4 and NetBEUI

G

Since several years, I am using a PC under MS-DOS 6.22 as a server for Windows PC's, using NetBEUI
It has been working fine along the years with Windows 95, 98, Me and 2000 until SP2
Now, under 2000 SP4, it is no longer working: when trying to map a network drive from the client (Windows 2000) to the server (MS-DOS), it says : "the mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occured : the
specified server cannot perform the request operation"
At least, that shows that the server is found
But, what can I do to get my network drives
Any help would be welcome

R

Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MVP

François VILLAIN said:
Since several years, I am using a PC under MS-DOS 6.22 as a server for Windows PC's, using NetBEUI.
It has been working fine along the years with Windows 95, 98, Me and 2000 until SP2.
Now, under 2000 SP4, it is no longer working: when trying to map a network drive from the client (Windows 2000) to the server (MS-DOS), it says : "the mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occured : the
specified server cannot perform the request operation".
At least, that shows that the server is found.
But, what can I do to get my network drives?

Francois, check the System and Application event logs. There may be
more useful information in there. Have you tried removing and
reinstalling NetBEUI?

G

Ricard
Thank you for reply, I will look at this file
But, since yesterday, I tried anythin
I downloaded a TCP-IP for MS-DOS, with server function, installed it on my PC MS-DOS; I shared the drive C: as a network directory
- with a client under SP2, mapping network drive to this directory succeede
- with a client under SP4, mapping network drive to this directory failed with the same message "the specified server cannot perform the requested operation
It means that the trouble is not linked to NetBEUI but to a server MS-DOS

J

Jerold Schulman

Since several years, I am using a PC under MS-DOS 6.22 as a server for Windows PC's, using NetBEUI.
It has been working fine along the years with Windows 95, 98, Me and 2000 until SP2.
specified server cannot perform the request operation".
At least, that shows that the server is found.
But, what can I do to get my network drives?

See if tip 8049 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com helps.

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Ask a Question