Sp2 Problem

Alan C

Since installing SP2
- Network connections are blank, error message 'The network
connections folder was unable to retrieve the list of network
adapters on your machine'.

- Windows Firewall (off) Advanced settings tell me 'The network
connection settings have become corrupted.'

- Windows Explorer is very slow opening 'Local disk c:'

Can anyone give me a guide as to how to fix the above, other than
uninstall sp2?

This message has been checked for all known viruses.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is
confidential and may be the subject of legal, professional or other
privilege. It is intended for the named addressee only and may not
be disclosed to any other parties without the prior permission of
the originator.

Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org

Mark Jacobs

Roll back to SP1, then run Windows Update, but select Custom -> All the
Critical Security Updates, sidestepping SP2. This way, you retain SP1, but
gain the added security of many SP2 patches. Afterwards, you can see them in
the Add/Remove Programs list. Works for me!
--
Mark Jacobs
DK Computing

| Since installing SP2
| - Network connections are blank, error message 'The network
| connections folder was unable to retrieve the list of network
| adapters on your machine'.
|
| - Windows Firewall (off) Advanced settings tell me 'The network
| connection settings have become corrupted.'
|
| - Windows Explorer is very slow opening 'Local disk c:'
|
| Can anyone give me a guide as to how to fix the above, other than
| uninstall sp2?

Alan C

Thanks, Mark,

I'm now back to sp1, and the add/remove list shows two sp2 patches
so should be 'secure' (?).
I'd still like to know why sp2 ***ks up the network settings 'cos if
I don't install it I'm gonna be teed off being told 'new updates are
available' every day or two. Another 'well done, Microsoft' ???
Cynical LOL.