Sound stopped working after I ......

W E B G U R L

Sound stopped working after I pulled out the speaker cable at the back of my monitor. I
have built in speakers.

I tried plugging in external speakers to see if they would work, but still no sound.

What next should I try?

Thanks

RJK

The socket at the back of your monitor is an "input," you need to plug the
3.5mm jack plug from your "active" speakers into the back of your computers'
"audio out / output" socket, usually green. ("active" means your speakers
must have a "built in" amplifier.)

regards, Richard

W E B G U R L

Thanks Richard - that already done

I am thinking I have done something to my soundcard.

| The socket at the back of your monitor is an "input," you need to plug the
| 3.5mm jack plug from your "active" speakers into the back of your computers'
| "audio out / output" socket, usually green. ("active" means your speakers
| must have a "built in" amplifier.)
|
| regards, Richard
|

| | > Sound stopped working after I pulled out the speaker cable at the back of
| > my monitor. I
| > have built in speakers.
| >
| > I tried plugging in external speakers to see if they would work, but still
| > no sound.
| >
| > What next should I try?
| >
| > Thanks

RJK

One possibility is that you have an "onboard" sound chip, and a soundcard
plugged in ! If you have both, (and hopefully the onboard one is switched
off in bios!), then make sure you have the jack plug plugged into the
correct one. i.e. the pci soundcard / not the jack plug near the big block
of sockets {...on ATX motherboards} Also some pci modem cards have a
"green" jack plug hole - I've seen people caught out on that one before now
!

regards, Richard

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi,

I think you can go to device manager to check if sound card works properly.

1. Right click "My Computer" and choose "Manage"
2. Choose "Device Manager" and expand "Sound, video and game controllers"
3. Check if there are any yellow question mark or excalmatory mark

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

W E B G U R L

More info.

Everything has always worked until I pulled out the blue plug from the back of my monitor.

Green end of the plug is in the green plug hole. I do not have any other place to plug
this into.

I have tried troubleshooting with the Windows help files - no help.

I have not changed any settings. Should I do a system restore to end it was working?

Thanks

| Sound stopped working after I pulled out the speaker cable at the back of my monitor. I
| have built in speakers.
|
| I tried plugging in external speakers to see if they would work, but still no sound.
|
| What next should I try?
|
| Thanks

W E B G U R L

reinstalled Realtek drivers. Still no sound.

| More info.
|
| Everything has always worked until I pulled out the blue plug from the back of my
monitor.

| Green end of the plug is in the green plug hole. I do not have any other place to plug
| this into.
|
| I have tried troubleshooting with the Windows help files - no help.
|
| I have not changed any settings. Should I do a system restore to end it was working?
|
| Thanks
|

| | | Sound stopped working after I pulled out the speaker cable at the back of my monitor.
| | have built in speakers.
| |
| | I tried plugging in external speakers to see if they would work, but still no sound.
| |
| | What next should I try?
| |
| | Thanks
| |
| |

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi,

As I said, please check the device manager

1. Right click "My Computer" and choose "Manage"
2. Choose "Device Manager" and expand "Sound, video and game controllers"
3. Check if there are any yellow question mark or excalmatory mark

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

RJK

I'm confused as to which plug is which. Lack of hardware detials doesn't
help much either !
Is it a Packard Bell type monitor with speakers attached to each side of it
? ...if so there may be a transformer plug that supplies power to the
monitor "active "speakers - and if so is it plugged it and switched on ?

Blue jack plug hole on sound cards is usually "line in" e.g. to feed in an
audio signal such as that from a record deck. ...again hard to picture the
hardware you're struggling with.
Green is your audio out signal, from sound card to speakers - as you already
know. ...perhaps your speakers need power :)

regards, Richard

RJK

....make sure that your hardware is connected up and working properly before
you start rummaging around in software !
i.e. ages ago I visited a lady who'd lost sound, and she had obviously
unplugged, (perhaps by accident or unknowingly), the seperate power supply
to her speakers, and then claimed that she didn't know a transformer even
existed ! ...as mentioned in my previous post :)

regards, Richard

W E B G U R L

As you said??? This is your first post I can see!

I have been to the devise manager in the first instance and before making this post and
all is correct. No exclamation marks.

| Hi,
|
| As I said, please check the device manager
|
| 1. Right click "My Computer" and choose "Manage"
| 2. Choose "Device Manager" and expand "Sound, video and game controllers"
| 3. Check if there are any yellow question mark or excalmatory mark
|

| Best regards,
|
| Vincent Xu
| Microsoft Online Partner Support
|
| ======================================================
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| ======================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others
| may learn and benefit from this issue.
| ======================================================
| This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.
| ======================================================
|

| --------------------
| >>From: "W E B G U R L" <[email protected]>
| >>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| >>Subject: Re: Sound stopped working after I ......
| >>Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 14:29:47 +1000
| >>
| >>reinstalled Realtek drivers. Still no sound.

| >>|
| back of my
| >>monitor.
| >>|
| other place to plug
| >>|
| >>|
| was working?
| >>|
| >>|
| >>|
| back of my monitor.
| >>| |
| still no sound.
| >>| |
| >>| |
| >>| |
| >>| |
| >>|
| >>|

W E B G U R L

In built speakers (said that before) for my benq monitor.

Unplugged monitor speakers and tried external speakers - yes they are plugged in! The
green light is on and volume is turned up. The speakers ARE plugged into the green plug
hole at the back of my PC. This is the only green plug hole.

Again, all I did was unplug the blue plug from the back of my monitor, then plugged in
again and no sound.

I give up!

| ...make sure that your hardware is connected up and working properly before
| you start rummaging around in software !
| i.e. ages ago I visited a lady who'd lost sound, and she had obviously
| unplugged, (perhaps by accident or unknowingly), the seperate power supply
| to her speakers, and then claimed that she didn't know a transformer even
| existed ! ...as mentioned in my previous post :)
|
| regards, Richard
|

| | > I'm confused as to which plug is which. Lack of hardware detials doesn't
| > help much either !
| > Is it a Packard Bell type monitor with speakers attached to each side of
| > it ? ...if so there may be a transformer plug that supplies power to the
| > monitor "active "speakers - and if so is it plugged it and switched on ?
| >
| > Blue jack plug hole on sound cards is usually "line in" e.g. to feed in an
| > audio signal such as that from a record deck. ...again hard to picture
| > the hardware you're struggling with.
| > Green is your audio out signal, from sound card to speakers - as you
| > already know. ...perhaps your speakers need power :)
| >
| > regards, Richard

| >> Everything has always worked until I pulled out the blue plug from the
| >> back of my monitor.
| >>
| >> Green end of the plug is in the green plug hole. I do not have any other
| >> place to plug
| >> this into.
| >>
| >> I have tried troubleshooting with the Windows help files - no help.
| >>
| >> I have not changed any settings. Should I do a system restore to end it
| >> was working?
| >>
| >> Thanks

| >> of my monitor. I
| >> |
| >> still no sound.
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |

W E B G U R L

Could there be somewhere else sound could be muted ?

Here are my settings:

c:\windows\system32\iac25_32.ax Intel Corporation Indeo(R) audio software OK
C:\WINDOWS\System32\IAC25_32.AX 2.05.50 194.00 KB (198,656 bytes) 25/01/2006 9:54 PM
c:\windows\system32\imaadp32.acm Microsoft Corporation imaadp32.acm OK
C:\WINDOWS\System32\IMAADP32.ACM 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 16.00 KB (16,384
bytes) 29/08/2002 10:00 PM
c:\windows\system32\l3codeca.acm Fraunhofer Institut Integrierte Schaltungen IIS
Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec OK C:\WINDOWS\System32\L3CODECA.ACM 1, 9, 0, 0305 284.00
KB (290,816 bytes) 29/08/2002 10:00 PM
c:\windows\system32\msadp32.acm Microsoft Corporation msadp32.acm OK
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSADP32.ACM 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 14.50 KB (14,848
bytes) 29/08/2002 10:00 PM
c:\windows\system32\msaud32.acm Microsoft Corporation Windows Media Audio Codec OK
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSAUD32.ACM 8.00.00.4487 288.00 KB (294,912 bytes) 29/08/2002 10:00 PM
c:\windows\system32\msg711.acm Microsoft Corporation msg711.acm OK
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSG711.ACM 5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148) 9.00 KB (9,216 bytes)
29/08/2002 10:00 PM
c:\windows\system32\msg723.acm Microsoft Corporation msg723.acm OK
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSG723.ACM 4.4.3400 116.00 KB (118,784 bytes) 25/01/2006 7:32 PM
c:\windows\system32\msgsm32.acm Microsoft Corporation msgsm32.acm OK
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSGSM32.ACM 5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148) 19.50 KB (19,968 bytes)
29/08/2002 10:00 PM
c:\windows\system32\sirenacm.dll Microsoft Corp. MSN Messenger Audio Codec OK
C:\WINDOWS\System32\SIRENACM.DLL 7.5.0311.0 116.00 KB (118,784 bytes) 12/10/2005 5:11 PM
c:\windows\system32\sl_anet.acm Sipro Lab Telecom Inc. Sipro Lab Telecom Audio Codec OK
C:\WINDOWS\System32\SL_ANET.ACM 3.02 84.00 KB (86,016 bytes) 29/08/2002 10:00 PM
c:\windows\system32\tssoft32.acm DSP GROUP, INC. tssoft32.acm OK
C:\WINDOWS\System32\TSSOFT32.ACM 1.01 8.00 KB (8,192 bytes) 29/08/2002 10:00 PM

Name Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller
Manufacturer Realtek
Status OK
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_B0121462&REV_60\3&13C0B0C5&0&8D
I/O Port 0x0000FE00-0x0000FEFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 22
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\alcxwdm.sys (5.10.00.6080 built by: WinDDK, 3.78 MB
(3,964,736 bytes), 26/01/2006 12:11 PM)

| In built speakers (said that before) for my benq monitor.
|
| Unplugged monitor speakers and tried external speakers - yes they are plugged in! The
| green light is on and volume is turned up. The speakers ARE plugged into the green plug
| hole at the back of my PC. This is the only green plug hole.
|
| Again, all I did was unplug the blue plug from the back of my monitor, then plugged in
| again and no sound.
|
| I give up!
|

| | | ...make sure that your hardware is connected up and working properly before
| | you start rummaging around in software !
| | i.e. ages ago I visited a lady who'd lost sound, and she had obviously
| | unplugged, (perhaps by accident or unknowingly), the seperate power supply
| | to her speakers, and then claimed that she didn't know a transformer even
| | existed ! ...as mentioned in my previous post :)
| |
| | regards, Richard
| |
| |
| | > help much either !
| | > Is it a Packard Bell type monitor with speakers attached to each side of
| | > it ? ...if so there may be a transformer plug that supplies power to the
| | > monitor "active "speakers - and if so is it plugged it and switched on ?
| | >
| | > Blue jack plug hole on sound cards is usually "line in" e.g. to feed in an
| | > audio signal such as that from a record deck. ...again hard to picture
| | > the hardware you're struggling with.
| | > Green is your audio out signal, from sound card to speakers - as you
| | > already know. ...perhaps your speakers need power :)
| | >
| | > regards, Richard

| | >> |
| | >> |
| | >> |
| | >> |
| | >> |

| |
| |

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi WEBGURL,

Actually I have replied you at Mon, 29 May 2006 02:50:31 GMT but it seems
that this reply didn't appear in this thread.

Since you didn't see any exclamation marks, it indicates, the sound card
works properly in the system. In another word, I think it could not be the
system issue and system restore also will not help.

I noticed that you are using a Benq monitor, I suggest you contact Benq for
assistance at this point because it appears to be a hardware issue. Of
course,please feel free to involve me during the process, I am glad to
provide any information.