Sound from one side only?

mrcapi937

I am only getting sound out of one channel (right side speaker only). I have
tried using headphones, speakers, and the built in laptop speakers but only
get sound from one side. I have tried several different applications to play
music and still only sound from one side. I have checked the volume control
and it is balanced to the center line like it should be. Any suggestions?

I am using a Dell Latitude C810 with windows XP. Microsoft Media player. I
play DVD’s with a dif program and still only sound from one side.

Please help. Thanks

philo

mrcapi937 said:
I am only getting sound out of one channel (right side speaker only). I have
tried using headphones, speakers, and the built in laptop speakers but only
get sound from one side. I have tried several different applications to play
music and still only sound from one side. I have checked the volume control
and it is balanced to the center line like it should be. Any suggestions?

I am using a Dell Latitude C810 with windows XP. Microsoft Media player. I
play DVD's with a dif program and still only sound from one side.

Please help. Thanks

More likely to be a hardware than a software problem,,,
the jack itself may have a bad connection

Don Phillipson

"mrcapi937" wrote in message
no its not hardware, it happens with speakers and headphones

You may have misunderstood. If the failure is in MB
circuitry (Sound On Board) it is still a hardware error
-- as in this case if it is uniform for all sources and
all outputs (speakers and headphones). SoB appears
to fail during use in 10 per cent of motherboards. To test:
1. Obtain a sound card suitable for WinXP and instal it.
2. In BIOS disable SoB.
3. Instal sound card drivers and test output.

philo

mrcapi937 said:
This happens with the speakers, and headphones, so no its not hardware

No...
I did not mean the speakers or headphone

The hardware problem is in your computer...
one channel is out...maybe a broken connection

That's not something that would be caused by software

mrcapi937

The speakers connect through the usb. Only one side working. Speakers are
built into the laptop, one speaker working. Headphones connect through a
headphone jack. If it were hardware, one of these options would have sound on
both sides. It would almost be impossible for all three connects to break at
the same time. Furthermore, with headphones I can hear my computer when it
signals an "error click" on both sides. Therefore it is a configuration
problem. I just don't know were to find the problem. Thanks for the imput,
but its simply not hardware related issue.
thanks

Don Phillipson

The speakers connect through the usb. Only one side working. Speakers are
built into the laptop, one speaker working. Headphones connect through a
headphone jack. If it were hardware, one of these options would have sound on
both sides. It would almost be impossible for all three connects to break at
the same time. Furthermore, with headphones I can hear my computer when it
signals an "error click" on both sides. Therefore it is a configuration
problem. I just don't know were to find the problem. Thanks for the imput,
but its simply not hardware related issue.

Reread my reply dated Oct. 24. As Philo posted, your pattern
of errors suggests hardware damage in the audio circuitry (one
dead channel). My post showed how to test the other components
(bypassing motherboard sound-on-board.)

Ian D

mrcapi937 said:
I am only getting sound out of one channel (right side speaker only). I
have
tried using headphones, speakers, and the built in laptop speakers but
only
get sound from one side. I have tried several different applications to
play
music and still only sound from one side. I have checked the volume
control
and it is balanced to the center line like it should be. Any suggestions?

I am using a Dell Latitude C810 with windows XP. Microsoft Media player. I
play DVD's with a dif program and still only sound from one side.

Please help. Thanks

You say you checked balance, but did you check the speaker
volume in Sounds and audio device properties. There is a
slider for each channel. If that's okay, as others have said, all
that's left is a motherboard audio hardware problem, considering
internal and external speakers have the same missing channel.

philo

mrcapi937 said:
The speakers connect through the usb. Only one side working. Speakers are
built into the laptop, one speaker working. Headphones connect through a
headphone jack. If it were hardware, one of these options would have sound on
both sides. It would almost be impossible for all three connects to break at
the same time. Furthermore, with headphones I can hear my computer when it
signals an "error click" on both sides. Therefore it is a configuration
problem. I just don't know were to find the problem. Thanks for the imput,
but its simply not hardware related issue.
thanks

Interesting!

Well, now that I see even USB speakers have the problem...
I'd have to say it must be the audio slider (as was mentioned)...
the "balance" may be set to one side.

Also check any third party audio software