Sound Driver Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Recently a friend, very computer literate, helped me with a problem with my PC, but when I got it back there was no sound. He said he had forgotten to install the sound driver and emailed a link for this. Unfortunately it only gets so far and then tells me that it 'Can't find driver, reboot and try again.' I believe the driver is HP Compaq something or other but the link takes me to a page Soundmax Cadenza where I then get the error message.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You need to identify your laptop.

Then Google the make and model number. This will probably supply you with a link to the HP Compaq site.

There, search for the relevant driver for your model, download it and install it.

You may be able to download the driver from the link your friend gave you, save it to the desktop, My Documents or somewhere convenient then double click on it to install it.

Your machine may also have a code which will identify it at the HP Compaq site, Toshiba and Dell laptops use that facility.

Or, phone your friend and ask him exactly what you're supposed to do to install the sound driver.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
You need to identify your laptop.

Then Google the make and model number. This will probably supply you with a link to the HP Compaq site.

There, search for the relevant driver for your model, download it and install it.

You may be able to download the driver from the link your friend gave you, save it to the desktop, My Documents or somewhere convenient then double click on it to install it.

Your machine may also have a code which will identify it at the HP Compaq site, Toshiba and Dell laptops use that facility.

Or, phone your friend and ask him exactly what you're supposed to do to install the sound driver.

Did that. There are two drivers available on HP Compaq site for my PC. Neither will install. My friend says there may be a problem with the sound card itself. He is going to check it out soon.
Thanks for your help.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

It will help us if you can actually tell us what HP you have ... and also give us relevant information such as operating system used.

XP is crap at identifying AC97 sound card drivers.

:user:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
It will help us if you can actually tell us what HP you have ... and also give us relevant information such as operating system used.

XP is crap at identifying AC97 sound card drivers.

My PC is a HP Compaq d330 DT. System is Windows XP Professional 1.2 CPU

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It would seem your pc is a tower unit not a Laptop , best thing in this case is to grab a cheap sound card from a retailer near you, doesn't have to be expensive as they are very cheap these days, get your freind to install it for you drivers and all and I bet that sorts out your problem..

Other than do a clean windows install and start again from there thats probably your best option..

I suggest your friend tried installing the drivers he emailed to you but probably encountered the same problem you came up against..

Reaction score
If you look in Device Manager the sound card should be listed there with a yellow question mark next to it? If its not listed there then. It might be worth checking the BIOS to see that its still enabled in there.

muckshifter

Reaction score
can I ask you to install Speccy and see/post what it says your sound card is?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Jim44 said:
Speccy says no Audio card detected.
ah, good & bad ... either on-board sound is not enabled in BIOS, or said sound "card" is nucking fackard :D

Get your comp' friend to check the BIOS for you, if you can't do that yourself, make sure on-board sound is enabled. A replacement PCI card should be cheap enough if it is defunct.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
ah, good & bad ... either on-board sound is not enabled in BIOS, or said sound "card" is nucking fackard :D

Get your comp' friend to check the BIOS for you, if you can't do that yourself, make sure on-board sound is enabled. A replacement PCI card should be cheap enough if it is defunct.

I'll get my mate to go in to BIOS in case I do something stupid and make things worse.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Jim44 said:
I'll get my mate to go in to BIOS in case I do something stupid and make things worse.

You'd be really hard pushed to do that.

Have a look, take your time, it's usually self-explanatory and then if you're really not sure ask your mate to help out.

Reaction score
Problem resolved. Somehow I managed to 'tweak' things via Device Manager. Thanks to those who responded.

Reaction score
Jim44 said:
Problem resolved. Somehow I managed to 'tweak' things via Device Manager. Thanks to those who responded.

Great to hear that the issue is now resolved. I thought it might be something in Device manager causing the issue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Give me an email address so i can email a software called [mucks edit] thingimebobwillfixit [/mucks edit]. that will help you somehow, it will identify the exact drivers need for your PC

muckshifter

Reaction score
clydeartwork said:
Give me an email address so i can email a software called [edit]. that will help you somehow, it will identify the exact drivers need for your PC
no, I don't advise anyone gives out their email address especially for free "software" that can be sourced from the tinternet.

The "problem" has been resolved, that means it was fixed, sorted, no longer needs help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question