Sorting START ALL PROGRAMS

Demhi Moss

I'm not sure if this is something I can do or not, but is it possible
to sort the files in the ALLPROGRAMS under START UP? Like when you
click the [START] button on the bottom left of the desktop and then
choose ALL Programs?
I would like to sort them using a program like Windows Explorer or my
Favorite, Total Commander. I did the same with all of the favorites
under Internet Explorer.
When I installed programs in the past, and apparently when Toshiba
installed the programs, they just put the fills in the root(?) ALL
PROGRAM dir. So now I have about 50 programs before I even get to
the DIRECTORIES. I'd like to make it a bit neater but don't know
where to go to try and fix this.
If someone can help me, I'd appreciate it.

Also, if I do properties --> TARGET, then I get
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:1
So I don't know if it is a Shortcut or the actually program. If it
is a shortcut I'll be just as happy just deleteing the things but I
don't want to delete the actually program. I've never really
understood the Shortcut vs Program deal. I know I have an acutal
program that runs. And a shortcut or link points to that program. ( I
think) but I don't know if the thing I'm looking at currently is a
lnk or shortcut.

Thanks

Don Phillipson

I'm not sure if this is something I can do or not, but is it possible
to sort the files in the ALLPROGRAMS under START UP? Like when you
click the [START] button on the bottom left of the desktop and then
choose ALL Programs?
I would like to sort them using a program like Windows Explorer or my
Favorite, Total Commander. I did the same with all of the favorites
under Internet Explorer.
When I installed programs in the past, and apparently when Toshiba
installed the programs, they just put the fills in the root(?) ALL
PROGRAM dir. So now I have about 50 programs before I even get to
the DIRECTORIES. I'd like to make it a bit neater but don't know
where to go to try and fix this.

In most operating systems, the Start Menu is merely a folder (like any
other folder) containing links (like any other LNK file): so you can
regroup them however you like, e.g. under your choice of submenus
(e.g. Work, Play, Count). Of course some OSs make customizing
Start Menu easier than do others.

Your "when Toshiba installed the programs, they just put the fills in the
root"
suggests malfunction in your OS. Most SETUP routines know where to
place software (in / Program Files) or prompt you for a location.

Flasherly

[...]

Mein's a version way the hell back when,

http://powerpro.cresadu.com/

although I did manage, somehow, to dock it into the taskbar startup
routine, next to the start menu, and duplicate a totally black
desktop, I rather prefer, except for two folders containing maybe 50
programs between them;- PPro essentially duplicates the folder
entities, listed sequentially, as you wish, upon activation by
columnar format by prefixing the links alpha/numerically. Whereas the
folders, in themselves, are as much traditional OS "themed" icons
exactingly placed by turning all related folder-automated features to
the OS off;- preferable for the most, I keep their content links
physically elsewhere prior to OS binary backups, thus locking in a
particular order so long as I don't mess with hardware or such as
involves screen resolution settings between.

PPro, however, is actually quite strong from a development/programing
perspective, given familiarity will advance anyone in automating
another layer into the front front interface of the OS, even should I
primarily take to a couple folders, and only use it odd instances to
define program links to hotkeys.

You'll get the hang of it if you keep at it -- command languages and
OS variables such as %ProgramFiles(x86)%, how they're used and
interpreted. Just remember everything hinges on nothing farther away
than either a -0 or -1.

Rene Lamontagne

"Demhi Moss" wrote in message

[...]

Right click start orb> properties> customize> uncheck box for sort al
programs menu by name

You should now be able to clickdrag the names up and down and drop them
where you like.

Regards, Rene