sony dvd writer won't burn any more

Reaction score
Hello there i am new just registered today and i desperatly need some help. Just bought a sony DRU-720A writer and it worked well to begin with then it started to go slow taking a long time to burn dvds (like hours). Then i started getting errors when the dvd was burning saying there wasn't enough virtual memory, but now i have wasted loads of dvd discs because of a transcoding error. Does any one have an idea what could be causing these problems and/or how to fix them. thanks for time

Reaction score
It appears you have a faulty DVD R-W send it back for repair and/or replacement.

Reaction score
sony dvd writer

Thanks for the help but i forgot to mention is that it burns audio cd's and data cd's but not dvd's.

Reaction score
murcury said:
Thanks for the help but i forgot to mention is that it burns audio cd's and data cd's but not dvd's.
HI SEEMS SONY STOP THAT I HAVE A SONY RS504 AND THAT WILL COPY CDS BUT NOT DVDS SO I BUY A 107 TO PLUG IN ON USB AND USE THE WRITER SIDE TO RIP DVD 4040B MODEL WRITER I HAVE 4X I WONDER IF YOURS IN INTERNAL OR XTERNAL

Reaction score
dvd writer

Thanks for the input, but i havn't got the foggiest i have decided to print out the log and take to pc world where we bought it from. Tried to read the error log but couldn't understand a word of it, something about a dvd engine error, do you think thats bad?

Reaction score
Hope This Is A Help

murcury said:
Thanks for the input, but i havn't got the foggiest i have decided to print out the log and take to pc world where we bought it from. Tried to read the error log but couldn't understand a word of it, something about a dvd engine error, do you think thats bad?
OK MINE WAS FROM PCWORLD TO AND THY SAID CANT DO DVD COS SONY BLOCK IT ON MY SONY COMPUTER YOUR BEST WRITER NEEDS TO BE A PIONEER 109 NOW PLAY AND RECORDS ALL DISCS I PAY £35.99 AT WWW.SVP.CO.UK AND WITH OPTIMA BLUE 8X DISCS THY WRITE AT 12X

AND YOUR LOG YOU GOT THAT SOUNDS BAD I GET MY MONY BACK FOR IT AND YOU SEE WHAT I USE THAT IS ON USB PORT SVP DO THE CASE TO FOR 14.99 SEEN OTHER PLACES CHARGE 37.99 FOR SAME TYPE

SO HOPE THIS IS A HELP TO YOU AND PCWORLD NOT HAVE A PIONEER

Reaction score
dvd writer

Cheers for that. How do you mean block it? Would that be why it worked in the past and has now stopped? Sorry for all the questions but im not to bright when it comes to computers. My computer is a Tiny its quite old could this cause any problems.

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Don't know if its just me, but I don't understand what Anthonytyrer is trying to say - no offence meant!:)

Murcury - have you changed the type of DVD media since it last worked properly? - If so i wonder if they are compatable, are they ones listed as recommended for use for that model by Sony?

Have you tried updating/re-installing your burning software in case it has been corrupted somehow?

Have you downloaded the latest firmware for your RW from the Sony website?

Just a few things to try, if it all fails I would say it is probably faulty, so take it back and get a new one.

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Had another thought since you updated your last post about the RW being used in an old Tiny PC - are you burning movies/video and recoding? - this takes up alot of system memory and if its an old PC it might be struggling - make sure you do not have any other processes operating at the same time.

If thats the case test it and see if it will burn a simple data DVD - if it works I would suggest the RW is fine and the problem lies with the PC or software.

Reaction score
dvd writer

It does write data dvd's and audio cd's, and yes i am trying to burn video/movie files and it does mention something about transcoding? The firmware has been updated to the fullest we also have nero 6 which has also been updated, although both of these were updated after the problems started. I havn't changed any of the settings on the writer, we also have two hard drives installed, the slaved hard drive is the one we store every thing uninportant on so we don't clog our master hard drive up. Although the computer is old its quite quick it is also updated on a regular basis. Should i try reinstalling the burner?

Reaction score
murcury said:
It does write data dvd's and audio cd's, and yes i am trying to burn video/movie files and it does mention something about transcoding? The firmware has been updated to the fullest we also have nero 6 which has also been updated, although both of these were updated after the problems started. I havn't changed any of the settings on the writer, we also have two hard drives installed, the slaved hard drive is the one we store every thing uninportant on so we don't clog our master hard drive up. Although the computer is old its quite quick it is also updated on a regular basis. Should i try reinstalling the burner?

Yes reinstall, may solve the problem.

Reaction score
dvd writer

Don't know specs but it has xp sp2, master drive is 80GB, the slave drive is 40GB and it has norton system works on.

Last edited:
Reaction score
dvd writer

Ok just uninstalled and reinstalled dvd writer, tried to update driver but it wouldnt let me said something about there not being a good enough match so i will leave that for now and try the writer first wish me good luck. Thanks for all the sound advice hope you know if this doesnt work i will be asking for help again.

Reaction score
dvd writer

Hi just managed to burn a dvd thanks for all the advice i couln't have done it with out you. still burns slow but thats probably my computer, once again thanks a lot .

Ask a Question