Some question if I understand user properties correct

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Program Addins' started by escamoteur, Aug 9, 2009.

  1. escamoteur

    escamoteur Guest

    Hi,

    user data that is stored as user properties in an item is stored IN this item independ if the same user property is defined in the
    folder.

    I need the additional definition of properties in the folder with the same names if I want to use filters and to display these data
    in a view? Correct??

    The user properties stay with the item even when I move it to a different folder. Correct?

    If I send an item with user properties to someone who has not the same form installed he will not see the user defined field, but
    the data is still in the item? Correct?

    Is it enough to install and register the form region on an other computer to access this user data?

    Best

    Tom

    escamoteur, Aug 9, 2009

  2. > user data that is stored as user properties in an item is stored IN this
    > item independ if the same user property is defined in the folder.
    > I need the additional definition of properties in the folder with the same
    > names if I want to use filters and to display these data in a view?
    > Correct??

    Not quite. You need the same properties, not additional properties -- same
    name, same data type. They just need to be defined in the folder, as well as
    in the item.

    > The user properties stay with the item even when I move it to a different
    > folder. Correct?

    Yes, that's correct.

    > If I send an item with user properties to someone who has not the same
    > form installed he will not see the user defined field, but the data is
    > still in the item? Correct?

    In many cases, not correct. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=907985,
    the section on "Behavior changes in Outlook."

    > Is it enough to install and register the form region on an other computer
    > to access this user data?

    No, registering a form region or publishing a custom form does not create
    any folder-level property definitions.
    --
    Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

    Sue Mosher [MVP], Aug 9, 2009

  3. escamoteur

    escamoteur Guest

    "Sue Mosher [MVP]" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:%...
    >> user data that is stored as user properties in an item is stored IN this item independ if the same user property is defined in
    >> the folder.
    >> I need the additional definition of properties in the folder with the same names if I want to use filters and to display these
    >> data in a view? Correct??

    > Not quite. You need the same properties, not additional properties -- same name, same data type. They just need to be defined in
    > the folder, as well as in the item.

    But they don't need to be defined in the folder to store the data inside the item, right? Only I I want to use the property in a
    view of the folder?

    >> The user properties stay with the item even when I move it to a different folder. Correct?

    > Yes, that's correct.
    >
    >> If I send an item with user properties to someone who has not the same form installed he will not see the user defined field, but
    >> the data is still in the item? Correct?

    > In many cases, not correct. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=907985, the section on "Behavior changes in Outlook."

    Thanks, I understand

    >> Is it enough to install and register the form region on an other computer to access this user data?

    > No, registering a form region or publishing a custom form does not create any folder-level property definitions.

    No I meant if this is enough to access the custom properties though the custom form if the item was transferred to the other
    machine.

    Best

    Tom

    escamoteur, Aug 10, 2009
  4. Registering a form region or publishing a custom form does not create any
    property definitions at the folder level. However, if all you want to do is
    store custom properties in an item, not view them in a folder, you do not
    need to create matching properties at the folder level. BUT ... if you
    transfer that item to another computer, e.g. by sending it as a message, and
    the properties are not present in the folder on the receiving system,
    Outlook may ignore those properties with the resulting data loss, as
    explained in the previously cited article at
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=907985.

    You haven't said whether you're working in an Exchange environment or what
    kind of items are involved. As the article explains, at least the Exchange
    environment does matter.
    --
    Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

    Sue Mosher [MVP], Aug 10, 2009