Soft Overclocking

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is it still possible to soft overclock a CPU (P4) on an Intel Chipset?

I can't change anything in my BIOS, but I wouldn't mind ramping it up a bit :) Its a bog standard 3.4 HT P4 - and they clock fairly well apparently.

Not going to change the motherboard for a few extra Mhz, but I wouldn't mind seeing what it can do :D

Reaction score
Yeah you can, but it depends on the motherboard...

You need to make sure you lock the AGP/PCI bus to 66/33 respectivly (at least thats what it is on mine, but yours could be PCIe?)

I would definatly reccomend using BIOS if at all possible... soft overclocking is a bit sketchy...

Give it a go :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you might be able to if you can find something compatible with your motherboard

Reaction score
you can overclock gfx cards by programs that run in windows, like the ati tool or whatever it is

Reaction score
Yeah - thats the way to overclock graphics.

For CPU its best to use BIOS - its much more stable.

Reaction score
The trick is to increase by 3 or 4 steps of the fsb in BIOS, then save and exit, see if windows boots. If it does? run Prime95 for half an hour or so. If it dosent error or crash, repeat from the beginning

Thats the way to a stable overclock

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
heh - fried from a 115 mhz increase ;) was it worth it?

Prior to that though I have had it running at 3.6GHz and 3.75GHz, which might have caused underlying damage. It would run stable up to about 3.4GHz. Still, i think it's lucky only the mobo went and not the CPU and mem too ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Try Clockgen

If your chipset is supported, you can push the fsb within Windows until it chokes and either freezes or reboots.

Then go down a notch or two, and, if possible, change fsb in Bios.

If you can't change in Bios, changing fsb within Windows using Clockgen will stay at that setting until you reboot.

It's a good tool for seeing how far you can take your system, I've used it a lot.

I can only get my Socket A XP3200 to 2.4Ghz (stock speed 2.2Ghz), I think my Corsair Value Select RAM is the weak point. Good solid stable memory, but a bit crap at overclocking.

Ask a Question