Social experiment about perception, taste and peoples priorities

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
"In Washington DC , at a Metro Station, on a cold January morning in 2007, a man with a violin played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, approximately 2000 people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

After about four minutes, a middle-aged man noticed that there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds, and then he hurried on to meet his schedule.

About four minutes later, the violinist received his first dollar. A woman threw money in the hat and, without stopping, continued to walk.

At six minutes, a young man leaned against the wall to listen to him, then looked at his watch and started to walk again.

At ten minutes, a three-year old boy stopped, but his mother tugged him along hurriedly. The kid stopped to look at the violinist again, but the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk, turning his head the whole time. This action was repeated by several other children, but every parent - without exception - forced their children to move on quickly.

At forty-five minutes: The musician played continuously. Only six people stopped and listened for a short while. About twenty gave money but continued to walk at their normal pace. The man collected a total of $32.

After one hour:
He finished playing and silence took over. No one noticed and no one applauded. There was no recognition at all.

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the greatest musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, with a violin worth $3.5 million dollars. Two days before, Joshua Bell sold-out a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100 each to sit and listen to him play the same music.

This is a true story. Joshua Bell, playing incognito in the D.C. Metro Station, was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and people’s priorities.

This experiment raised several questions:

In a common-place environment, at an inappropriate hour, do we perceive beauty?

If so, do we stop to appreciate it?

Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context?

One possible conclusion reached from this experiment could be this:
If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world, playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the most beautiful instruments ever made…
How many other things are we missing as we rush through life?"

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Very interesting - although $32 for 45 mins still ain't bad ;). I guess a large part of the reason not many people stopped was because they were community to work and didn't have time - it would be interesting to see what the results were if this was repeated on a weekend outside a group of cafes.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Not sure what it means really. :confused:

99% of the population wouldn't know any music by Bach for a start. And I have to say that would include me. Also 99 % wouldn't know the difference in sound beween a violin costing $3.5 million and one costing $35 and once again I am in that category.

I also have to admit that I've not heard of Joshua Bell despite him being a great musician.

The people who go to his concerts have obviously heard of him and enjoy classical music. Some may be experts on Bach. Some may notice the difference between $3.5 million and $35 violins. These people are a tiny percentage of the public at large.

So, it comes as no surprise to me that hardly anyone stopped to listen. Perhaps if one of the people who would attend one of his concerts was passing by then they would stop and listen. And probably appreciate the music.

So, "In a common-place environment, at an inappropriate hour, do we perceive beauty?" - depends what the definition of beauty is. Classical music played by an expert violinist on a ridiculously expensive violin is not beautiful to everyone.

"If so, do we stop to appreciate it?" - only if we think it beautiful, so that means very few indeed.

"Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context?" - no, but 99% wouldn't recognize the talent in a concert hall anyway.

And finally, "How many other things are we missing as we rush through life?" - lots and lots and lots. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

99% of the population wouldn't know any music by Bach for a start. And I have to say that would include me. Also 99 % wouldn't know the difference in sound between a violin costing $3.5 million and one costing $35 and once again I am in that category.

I also have to admit that I've not heard of Joshua Bell despite him being a great musician.

I was just about to post the same thing...

Nivs post is pretty much what i was thinking as i read the OP. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I was just about to post the same thing...

Nivs post is pretty much what i was thinking as i read the OP. :)

I will go with Niv posted and what you were thinking of posting. We await Sir Flops verdict :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score

99% of the population wouldn't know any music by Bach for a start. And I have to say that would include me. Also 99 % wouldn't know the difference in sound beween a violin costing $3.5 million and one costing $35 and once again I am in that category.

The people who go to his concerts have obviously heard of him and enjoy classical music. Some may be experts on Bach. Some may notice the difference between $3.5 million and $35 violins. These people are a tiny percentage of the public at large.

So, it comes as no surprise to me that hardly anyone stopped to listen. Perhaps if one of the people who would attend one of his concerts was passing by then they would stop and listen. And probably appreciate the music.

So, "In a common-place environment, at an inappropriate hour, do we perceive beauty?" - depends what the definition of beauty is. Classical music played by an expert violinist on a ridiculously expensive violin is not beautiful to everyone.

"If so, do we stop to appreciate it?" - only if we think it beautiful, so that means very few indeed.

"Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context?" - no, but 99% wouldn't recognize the talent in a concert hall anyway.

And finally, "How many other things are we missing as we rush through life?" - lots and lots and lots. :)
hey man ... groovy.

:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Welp, hate to be part of the herd but I also think nivrip summed it up pretty well :)

Beauty is in the eye (and ears) of the beholder, as they say.

Music is a very personal thing and all through this life I've taken umbrage at people who define some as rubbish and some as sublime, it doesn't work like that. I've always argued that if any music, whatever it is, pleases some people and gives them pleasure then it's done it's job and can, to some extent, label itself good, From Stockhausen to The Birdie Song to Django Rheindhart, whatever.

And as Ian said, folk rushing to work are usually in zombie mode and used to seeing buskers, they're not going to stop to investigate. It was an interesting thing to do but I think the article's author was probably unfair to criticise the public. Comment on the irony for sure, the situation does raise a grin, but would they really expect the average Joe to perceive the music as belonging to the upper echelons of it's genre?

As for apreciating things of beauty I can honestly say that as I get older this world just amazes me more and more. I'm taking pleasure in really simple things, things that I've taken for granted all my life. This planet is quite incredible really, just the colours, the wildlife, the people, trees, grass, flowers, rivers, I think you know what I mean.

Odd, innit, us humans have been given everything we need yet all we seem to do is compete and go to war.

Ok, Flops, stop right there, you is getting soppy, I'm tough I am, hard as nails, none of that girly stuff for me, oh no :mad:

Ask a Question