So my computer justs shuts down randomly...Please Help!

Reaction score
Hello.

My computer is in some dire need of medical assistance. I do not know if it is a virus. It could be, but I have done virus scans, and nothing pops up.

THE PROBLEM: My computer, at any moment (it could even happen as I am typing this postl) will randomly shut off, without warning. What the heck kind of computer do I have? It shuts off, then on the monitor it says "Power Saving Mode" surrounded by a green bar. I almost think it could have something to do with power usage. I really notice this when I am using media of any kind. I rarely shuts down when I am using notepad. As a matter of fact, I have to type on a notepad and constantly save it and then copy and paste it to the "post new thread", in fear of the computer shutting off before I can type and send it.

Windows media player is a great program, only I can never play any type of media on it, as my computer will always shut down. Any form of computer games or movies, online or on the actual computer or from a CD or DVD, are a joke. They don't last 30 seconds before the computer shuts off.

The internet also shuts off randomly as well, but lasts much longer than a movie or game would. Chat rooms of any kind are also considered suicide as my computer will shut off. Everytime I am on, unless I am doing notepad, my computer WILL shut off at one point or another. However, I was doing a term paper on notepad, and my computer shut off before I could save it.

Another thing to note is that this an IBM monitor. I think it might have something to do with virtual memory. I don't know much about it, but I think it might mean that its how much the computer can process at once or something...i don't know...Please help me!

Thanks ahead of time for any and all help given!

Reaction score
Yeah as suggested above.

Virus Scan your computer using a good quality scanner, and then scan for spyware using something like SpyBot Search & Destroy.

If they pick nothing up then i guess reinstalling the PC might help :)

And if that fails, contact the supplier of your computer and ask them for more information regarding any warranty they may still offer.

Chris

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll try that this evening. Another big problem I'm having is I can't get my CD or DVD drive to work. Went to device options, not finding anything when searching system, although the drives appear with exclamation points. Installation disc was used for drivers, but now since CD isn't working, can't use that? Any suggestions?

Reaction score
lrudzin said:
Thanks. I'll try that this evening. Another big problem I'm having is I can't get my CD or DVD drive to work. Went to device options, not finding anything when searching system, although the drives appear with exclamation points. Installation disc was used for drivers, but now since CD isn't working, can't use that? Any suggestions?

Scan the PC with all the removal tools, download them and save to a new folder placed on your desktop [it will take quite a time] when you finish downloading them go OFF line run them one after another NOT all at the same time.

If it finds a Virus it will repair and remove it! you will have a written report after each one. Now don’t forget to read the instructions for each tool used, are you running XP? If so turn OFF system restore.

If you do find a virus you will then in all probability be able to install all the drivers required for your PC. As that would stop you finding the drives. What make is your PC? And have you all the discs required?;)

Reaction score
Like your quotes by the way. I have a IBM ThinkVision and Windows/XP. Yes, I do have all the discs so I should be in good shape. Good advice. I'll try it this evening at home. Thank you so much for your help, and I'll let you know if I succeed.

Reaction score
lrudzin said:
Like your quotes by the way. I have a IBM ThinkVision and Windows/XP. Yes, I do have all the discs so I should be in good shape. Good advice. I'll try it this evening at home. Thank you so much for your help, and I'll let you know if I succeed.

Good luck;)

Ask a Question