smtpmail.send() while the smtp instance is not running

G

Hey folks

anyone know how to make smtpmail.send() just drop the message in the pickup folder? Code works fine if the smtp instance is running ( in IIS manager ) give a nasty error if smtp is stopped

"Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.Here is the full error messageSystem.Web.HttpException: Could not access 'CDO.Message' object. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040213): The transport failed to connect to the server

--- End of inner exception stack trace --
etc, etc, etc

Basically, if the smtp service or instance is stopped for any reason, like maintenance, I don't want any impact in the application.

G

Gabriele G. Ponti

I don't think there's any other way to solve this issue but to design your
application to catch the exception, and retry later.

G

It would be easier to use the unmanaged code version of cdonts This is a web app, and i'm coding for a "forgot password" feature. Telling the user to try logging on later, or queueing the email in a custom built chunk of code is not really what I want. It would be easier to just create a text file in the pickup directory with a stream object.

C'mon Microsoft! Paying MSDN Universal subscriber here! HAS to be a way.

----- Gabriele G. Ponti wrote: -----

I don't think there's any other way to solve this issue but to design your
application to catch the exception, and retry later.

Ask a Question