SMTP transmission failure has occurred

Lee Beck

I got an email returned as undeliverable. Rest of the message is:

Reason: SMTP transmission failure has occurred
Diagnostic code: smtp;554 5.7.1 This message has been blocked because it
is from a FortiSpamshield black IP address.

Does this mean that my ISP will not deliver the message or that the intended
recipient has refused to accept it? The answer to this question will
determine whether I need to contact my ISP or the recipient to correct the
problem for this and subsequent emails to the same address.

Thanks.

Gary VanderMolen

It's difficult to say because you didn't supply the complete bounce notice
with its headers. Sounds like it came from the recipient's ISP because
your own ISP would not be invoking a block on its own IP addresses.

Lee Beck

Okay. everything in the body of the bounce notification is between the
asterisks. I was trying to keep the message short. The part that made me
wonder if it was my ISP is the "it is from a FortiSpamshield black IP
address." causing me to think that maybe it is my spam-block software and
that maybe i inadvertently blocked the addressee. I do "block sender"
frequently if I don't recognize the address. In this case, however, I need
to get mail from the sender.

I tried to access the blocked list but couldn't find it. My ISP is Verizon
and of course my mail client is Windows Mail.

Thanks for your comments

This report relates to a message you sent with the following header fields:

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 21:34:31 -0500
From: "Lee Beck" <[email protected]>
To: "Parrish, Kay" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Communion

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

Recipient address: (e-mail address removed)
Reason: SMTP transmission failure has occurred
Diagnostic code: smtp;554 5.7.1 This message has been blocked because it
is from a FortiSpamshield black IP address.
Remote system: dns;summit2.summitchurch.cc
(TCP|206.46.252.46|40969|66.13.215.212|25)

Lee Beck

Uh oh. I just recognized that I cut and pasted too soon without realizing
that I have supplied my email address to the world. I did a search of these
newsgroups and find that I can't edit or delete my message.

If one of you knows how to contact an administrator and delete or camoflauge
my email address I'd appreciate it. I already get too much spam. I don't
need an email harvester getting my real email address.

Thanks.

It's already gone out to many newsgroup providers around the world.
You'd need help from the adminstrators of all the newsgroup servers
it reached, and many of them are likely to consider it too much effort.
Addresses not found as the return address of a message are less
likely to be used for spam, though.

You probably need to check your spam-block software for a block
sender list. That error message doesn't look like it's from Windows
Mail.

You might, however, want to check the separate blocked lists in
Windows Mail. Click on Tools, then Message Rules, then Mail.
Click on each rule in the list and read it. If it deletes mail from that
sender, or even just the part of the address after the @, click on
Remove and any approvals need, then continue with the rest of the
list. After the last rule, click on OK.

Click on Tools, then Junk E-mail Options, then Safe Senders.
Add the addresses of anyone whose mail has problems reaching
you, or just the part after @ if you want mail from any user at
that site. Then click on Apply and then Blocked Senders. If you
see an address on the list you want mail from, or just the part
after @, click on it, then Remove, then any approvals needed,
then continue down the list. At the end of the list, click on
Apply, then OK, then International, then Blocked Top-Level
Domain List. Make a list of the countries that are blocked,
then mark off the ones that you want mail from such as .cc.
Click on Clear All, then Go down the list clicking on any you
still don't want mail from. At the end of the list, click on OK,
then Apply, then Phishing. If there is no check mark in the box
before Move phishing E-mail to the Junk Mail folder, click on
this box, then Apply. Click on OK.

This applies to your incoming mail only, though. Windows
Mail doesn't do a similar check on outgoing mail, so any
problems with it come from elsewhere. In this case, ask your
email provider if they block email to such addresses.

It can also be blocked at the far end email provider, if the
user you are trying to send to has lost his account or become
known for spamming.

Lee Beck

Thanks for both of your replies, Robert.

I need to be slower to the trigger in cutting/pasting email headers and
messages. I did another search and they suggested that I contact
(e-mail address removed) but my email to him got rejected also. Maybe I'll be
lucky and my address won't be harvested. I also got advice not to post to
newsgroups that don't have edit/cancel ability. That's probably good advice.
I don't like problems without remedys.

Gary VanderMolen

This has nothing to do with any setting or software on your end.
That message was clearly refused by summit2.summitchurch.cc,
which is the mail handler for the summitchurch.cc domain, i.e.,
the recipient.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Lee Beck said:
Thanks for both of your replies, Robert.

I need to be slower to the trigger in cutting/pasting email headers and
messages. I did another search and they suggested that I contact
(e-mail address removed) but my email to him got rejected also. Maybe I'll
be
lucky and my address won't be harvested. I also got advice not to post to
newsgroups that don't have edit/cancel ability. That's probably good
advice.
I don't like problems without remedys.

John doesn't work for Microsoft anymore. Hasn't for quite a while.

Whatever you post to ANY newsgroup is generally copied and preserved in a
publicly available database almost as soon as you post.

Lee Beck

Re: "John doesn't work for Microsoft anymore. Hasn't for quite a while." So
is the bottom line that there is no one who can delete my post? Is there a
guy like John that I can plead my case to - or would it make a difference.
To these sleezy email harvesters periodically copy a database and pluck out
email addresses?

I guess my basic approach to spam is to not put my email address in any
publicly available place. I registered to this newsgroup community with a
hotmail address that I use for forums and such so that my email won't get in
the hands of even a trusted organization like MSFT. So I was horrified when
in a moment of haste I cut/pasted information that I thought was being
requested by a potential helper, and found that it contained my personal
email address. Then found that there is no way to reverse a hasty move. I
even considered doing a "report offensive post" but I don't see that option
either.

You'd need many people to delete it, since it's already gone out to many
newsgroup servers other than just the Microsoft one. You aren't likely
to get all of them to do it.

Gary VanderMolen

As Robert indicates, at this point a multitude of independent server
administrators would have to act, which is a lost cause.
Even if MS acted, they can only make deletions to their own servers.