    getting the following error message when windows start:
    smoni create error # 10050

    can anyone help with this problem?

    Guest, Sep 30, 2005

    Malke Guest

    Ross Milne wrote:

    > I have got a Windows XP Home Editions PC with all of the updates, and
    > I am getting the following error message when windows start:
    > smoni create error # 10050
    >

    > can anyone help with this problem?

    Googling for that error message wasn't productive. Can you get into
    Windows after receiving the error message? If so:

    1. Make sure your computer is virus and malware-free:

    2. If the computer is already clean, use the System Configuration Tool
    to do clean-boot troubleshooting since something is apparently set to
    start with Windows and failing:
    Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
    and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

    If you aren't able to get into Windows in Regular Mode, what about Safe
    Mode?

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Sep 30, 2005

    I have tryed running msconfig, after the system has been restarted, and when
    the msconfig box opens back up I got 2 green box's inside the check box of
    Process Win.ini and :blush:ad Startup Items check box's.

    Any ideas from this what the problem can be?

    Ross

    Guest, Oct 4, 2005

    Malke Guest

    Ross Milne wrote:

    > I have tryed running msconfig, after the system has been restarted,
    > and when the msconfig box opens back up I got 2 green box's inside the
    > check box of Process Win.ini and :blush:ad Startup Items check box's.
    >
    > Any ideas from this what the problem can be?

    1. What is the virus/malware status of the computer?
    2. If the computer is clean, can you run msconfig in Safe Mode and do
    clean-boot troubleshooting?
    3. What changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

    >> Ross Milne wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have got a Windows XP Home Editions PC with all of the updates,
    >> > and I am getting the following error message when windows start:
    >> > smoni create error # 10050

    Malke

    Malke, Oct 4, 2005

    > 1. What is the virus/malware status of the computer?
    Run MacAffee Anti Virus - No Virus's Reported
    Run Pandasof Online Virus Scanner - No viruses/spyware/malwear Reported
    Run Microsoft AniSpyware - spyware removed

    > 2. If the computer is clean, can you run msconfig in Safe Mode and do
    > clean-boot troubleshooting?

    Will try this next time I am at the computer.

    > 3. What changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

    Nothing to my knowledge has been changed.

    Guest, Oct 4, 2005

    Malke Guest

    Ross Milne wrote:

    >> 1. What is the virus/malware status of the computer?

    > Run MacAffee Anti Virus - No Virus's Reported
    > Run Pandasof Online Virus Scanner - No viruses/spyware/malwear
    > Reported Run Microsoft AniSpyware - spyware removed
    >
    >> 2. If the computer is clean, can you run msconfig in Safe Mode and do
    >> clean-boot troubleshooting?

    > Will try this next time I am at the computer.
    >
    >> 3. What changed between the time things worked and the time they
    >> didn't?

    > Nothing to my knowledge has been changed.

    Since you say you found some malware with MSAS, also run Ad-aware and
    Spybot Search & Destroy. They are free. Install the programs, update
    them, and run scans in Safe Mode. All scans for malware should be run
    in Safe Mode. After doing this, test to see if the smoni error is gone.
    If so, you're done. If not, do clean-boot troubleshooting by running
    msconfig in Safe Mode.

    www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
    www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware

    Malke