smart quotes again!

Susan

Okay from previous posts I have found out what "Smart
Quotes" are and that they can be replaced by ? marks when
the browser cannot properly interpet them. I tried
changing the charset and finally gave up and eyeballed
the quotes on the webpages and edited them. Also I could
not copy and paste the copyright symbol from the
character map under System Tools but had to use the hex
specification in the html to get it to work.

http://fairhopechristianchurch.org/smartquotes.htm

Now I look at a different website that I maintain and I
notice that it has "Smart Quotes" (the curly quotes) too
but they seem to display correctly--no ? marks. I also
use the copyright symbol and have no problem although I
did not specify it in hex.
http://esill.net

Why will it display properly on one website and not
another? Does it have anything to do with the servers?
One uses Linux the other Windows 2000.

esill.net
OS
Server Last changed IP address Netblock Owner

Windows 2000 Apache/1.3.28 (Win32) 22-Sep-2004
65.61.216.132 Doteasy Technology Inc.

Fairhopechristianchurch.org
OS
Server Last changed IP address Netblock Owner

Linux Apache/2.0.50 (Fedora) 22-Sep-2004
65.61.233.37 Doteasy Technology Inc.

Thanks for opinions!
Susan

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

Did you try: copy from Word, paste into Notepad, copy from Notepad into FP?

| Okay from previous posts I have found out what "Smart
| Quotes" are and that they can be replaced by ? marks when
| the browser cannot properly interpet them. I tried
| changing the charset and finally gave up and eyeballed
| the quotes on the webpages and edited them. Also I could
| not copy and paste the copyright symbol from the
| character map under System Tools but had to use the hex
| specification in the html to get it to work.
|
| http://fairhopechristianchurch.org/smartquotes.htm
|
| Now I look at a different website that I maintain and I
| notice that it has "Smart Quotes" (the curly quotes) too
| but they seem to display correctly--no ? marks. I also
| use the copyright symbol and have no problem although I
| did not specify it in hex.
| http://esill.net
|
| Why will it display properly on one website and not
| another? Does it have anything to do with the servers?
| One uses Linux the other Windows 2000.
|
| esill.net
| OS
| Server Last changed IP address Netblock Owner
|
| Windows 2000 Apache/1.3.28 (Win32) 22-Sep-2004
| 65.61.216.132 Doteasy Technology Inc.
|
| Fairhopechristianchurch.org
| OS
| Server Last changed IP address Netblock Owner
|
| Linux Apache/2.0.50 (Fedora) 22-Sep-2004
| 65.61.233.37 Doteasy Technology Inc.
|

| Thanks for opinions!
| Susan

Kevin Spencer

You should have taken my advice. ;-)

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Susan

I understand your advice! I know how to work around the
problem! I am trying to understand the underlying cause
of the problem! Is it due to Linux? I am suspicious.

Why will it display properly on one website and not
Susan

Did you try: copy from Word, paste into Notepad, copy from Notepad into FP?

"Susan" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

I don't know. But, if I were to venture a guess...I wouldn't guess Linux...I guess translation from Word to html...or whatever program you're using to create the original text.

| I understand your advice! I know how to work around the
| problem! I am trying to understand the underlying cause
| of the problem! Is it due to Linux? I am suspicious.
|
| Why will it display properly on one website and not
| > > another? Does it have anything to do with the servers?
| > > One uses Linux which I have the problems with, the
| other Windows 2000.
| > >

| Susan

| >|
| >| http://fairhopechristianchurch.org/smartquotes.htm
| >|
| >| Now I look at a different website that I maintain and
| >| notice that it has "Smart Quotes" (the curly quotes)
| too
| >| but they seem to display correctly--no ? marks. I also
| >| use the copyright symbol and have no problem although
| >| did not specify it in hex.
| >| http://esill.net
| >|
| >| Why will it display properly on one website and not
| >| another? Does it have anything to do with the servers?
| >| One uses Linux the other Windows 2000.
| >|
| >| esill.net
| >| OS
| >| Server Last changed IP address Netblock Owner
| >|
| >| Windows 2000 Apache/1.3.28 (Win32) 22-Sep-2004
| >| 65.61.216.132 Doteasy Technology Inc.
| >|
| >| Fairhopechristianchurch.org
| >| OS
| >| Server Last changed IP address Netblock Owner
| >|
| >| Linux Apache/2.0.50 (Fedora) 22-Sep-2004
| >| 65.61.233.37 Doteasy Technology Inc.
| >|
| >|
| >|
| >|
| >|
| >| Thanks for opinions!
| >| Susan
| >.

Steve Easton

You don't copy and paste from the character map in system tools. You use Insert > Symbol on the
FrontPage toolbar.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Chris Leeds, MVP-FrontPage

I can't see how Linux could be doing this it's not likely but IMHO if you're
using FrontPage you'll have a more comfortable situation on a windows
computer/server with properly maintained and understood extensions.

HTH

--
Chris Leeds,
Microsoft MVP-FrontPage

Please feel free to contact me here:
http://nedp.net/contact/

Ronx

It's nothing to do with Linux. The only difference between a page served by
a Unix server and a page served by Windows is the characters used to end
each line of code - and this is corrected by the browser anyway.

However, esill.net is formatted with Times New Roman as the font, and
fairhopechristianaid.org uses Trebuchet. That is the only difference I
could see.

Ron

Kevin Spencer

I and several others have already explained what the underlying problem is.
Apparently, you don't want to believe us. Therefore, if it makes you happy
to think so, it was due to LINUX.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Susan

Please look at
http://fairhopechristianchurch.org/test.htm
I just copied the page from Esill.net and slso
used the FP menu to insert the copyright symbol at the
bottom. It has problems.

I appologize that I have beat this horse to death but
there is not consistency between how the different
websites handle my same code!

I thank everyone for their comments and I guess I am a
stubborn old woman!

Susan
I don't know. But, if I were to venture a guess...I
wouldn't guess Linux...I guess translation from Word to
html...or whatever program you're using to create the
original text.
message news:[email protected]...

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

Now you got me curious...*how* did you copy esill.net page?

| Please look at
| http://fairhopechristianchurch.org/test.htm
| I just copied the page from Esill.net and slso
| used the FP menu to insert the copyright symbol at the
| bottom. It has problems.
|
| I appologize that I have beat this horse to death but
| there is not consistency between how the different
| websites handle my same code!
|
| I thank everyone for their comments and I guess I am a
| stubborn old woman!
|
| Susan

| >|
| >| Susan
| >|

| >| >|
| >| >|
| and
| quotes)
| >| too
| also
| although
| >| >|
| servers?
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|

| >.

Susan

I opened the website esill.net in FP and used the home page. I did a select
all, copy. I opened the fairhopechristianchurch.org website and did New Page
and pasted the copied page from esill.net. I also used the FP insert symbol
to insert the copyright symbol at the bottom to illustrate my problem with
symbols. I also highlighted my problems. I renamed the page test.htm. I
saved my page and then published it.

I thank you for your curiousity.
Susan

"Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message Now you got me curious...*how* did you copy esill.net page?

| Please look at
| http://fairhopechristianchurch.org/test.htm
| I just copied the page from Esill.net and slso
| used the FP menu to insert the copyright symbol at the
| bottom. It has problems.
|
| I appologize that I have beat this horse to death but
| there is not consistency between how the different
| websites handle my same code!
|
| I thank everyone for their comments and I guess I am a
| stubborn old woman!
|
| Susan

| >|
| >| Susan
| >|

| >| >|
| servers?
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| >|

| >.

Ronx

The only way I can reproduce your problem is to copy the source code from
http://fairhopechristianchurch.org/test.htm into my page. The "smart quote
into ?" problem is copied with it.

See www.rxs-enterprises.org/tests/pages/symbols.htm
and www.rxs-enterprises.com/tests/pages/symbols.htm

The first is served by Windows 2003 server, the second by Unix.

Using IE6 and Firefox on Windows XP SP1 and on Windows XP SP2,
and Mozzilla 1.6 on RedHat Linux, all the symbols on those pages appear
correctly.

Ron

Susan

Okay please tell me if the following displays correctly
for you! It does not for me. Am I crazy?

http://www.fairhopechristianchurch.org/test2.html

Susan
Case Number: 186606-939006

Hello Susan,

We have no problem seeing the 'Smart Quotes and Symbols'
you have created for
http://fairhopechristianchurch.org/test.htm

Please ensure that you have set your Internet Browser's
encoding to the correct settings. Please try again with
the encoding of 'Western European (Windows)' from the
drop-down list.

Here is what you do:

On your Internet Browser:

- Click on 'View' ---> 'Encoding' ---> 'Western European
(Windows)'.

===

For testing purpose, we have also uploaded a test page on
your website at
http://www.fairhopechristianchurch.org/test2.html and we
have no problem seeing all the Smart Quotes and Symbol
examples we have used. Please take a look with the
encoding correctly selected.

If we can be of any further assistance, please don't
hesitate to contact us again. Thank you.

Regards,

Hata
Doteasy Customer Service
"Join the hosting revolution!"

New! Please visit: http://forum.doteasy.com

Hello,

I have copied and pasted code from MS Word and uploaded
it to the website. I just recently noticed that I had
problems with "Smart Quotes" and had to edit them. I also
could not use symbols such as the copyright symbol but
had to specify the symbol with the hex equivalent in the
HTML code. This is for the website
fairhopechristianchurch.org
I also maintain the esill.net website. I used "Smart
Quotes" in it and symbols. It has no problem in
displaying them. I even copied the home page and
published it to the fairhopechristianchurch.org website
See http://fairhoppechristianchurch.org/test.htm
There are problems with the displaying of symbols and "Smart Quotes".

I appreciate your service and I know how to work around
the problem. But for my knowledge, please explain why the
two websites handle the same code differently.

Thomas A. Rowe

You are not crazy, as I only see ? as well in IE 6 and NS6.21, but the View Source (notepad) is
correct.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Ronx

The problem appears to be with the server.
When the server delivers a page it includes a set of HTTP headers, which you
will normally never see.

The HTTP headers being delivered with your page include

This appears to be over-riding the meta tag in your page which sets the
charset to windows-1252.

Under UTF-8, the symbols TM (c) smart-quotes etc will display as queries,
not as the correct characters, unless they are inserted in the entity format
e.g. & #159; (without the space).

Now how your host manages to see the symbols, and no-one else can is a case
for Sherlock Holmes.

Ron