Slow thumbnail cache ??

Andy100

I have a folder in my desktop which i put pics in taken from my digital
camera. The problem is that it takes about 20seconds (sometimes longer) for
XP to show the thumbnails (i.e. all i see is the orangey icon for a while
until the thumbnails are recognised).

Hitting F5 to refresh doesn't make it any quicker either. There are only a
handful of pics in the folder, i could understand it if there were lots, but
there are literally about 30, not of particularly large size.

Having said that, even when i click on a pic to view it, it takes around 6
seconds to open with windows fax&pic viewer.

What might be going on here ?, is it to do with thumbnail caching, if so,
how can i fix it.

BTW mp3's take a while to open also (about 5 sec, in winamp)

Cheers for any info
Andy

neil

Have you tried a temp folder or the my pictures folder to see if it may be
using the desktop for storage that is causing it.

Neil

Andy100

Thanks Neil, actually you may be right here, because when i open any pics in
the 'My Docs' they are shown fast. The folder stored on my desktop named
'Digicam pics' takes a while to show. I'm going to move them all into the
'My Docs' and see what happens. I hadn't realised using desktop storage
slowed things up, is that right ??

Thanks for the info !!!

Cheers
Andy

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Andy,

Thank you for posting here.

Based on my expriences, the problem can be caused by some third party
software (for example: Adobe Photoshop) which install a thumbnail icon
image viewer into the Windows explorer. This may result in a couple of
problems.

You can run msconfig.exe to disable Startup Group and Third party services
on the Windows XP computer. What is the result?

Please refer to the following document for the detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Bob Qin
Microsoft Online Partner Support

From: "Andy100" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Subject: Re: Slow thumbnail cache ??
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 09:06:52 +0100

neil said:
Have you tried a temp folder or the my pictures folder to see if it may be
using the desktop for storage that is causing it.

Neil
while
are only
caching, if