Slow Remote Desktop Screen Response

I have an issue that is corrected only by rebooting my machine at work (DELL
P4 2.8GHz 512MB RAM running Windows XP Professional SP1).

I receive very good response during the first Remote Desktop connection
session to my computer at work from my home computer after the work computer
has been rebooted. On the next and subsequent connections, the response time
is very slow. For example, bringing up a new window of any kind, opening
Explore, initaing a drop down list, logging off, etc. It is so slow that it
is unusable.

I have tried it using DSL and Dialup. I have tried it using my home
computer connected to my wireless network. I have tried it directly
connected to the DSL modem. I have tried it using a different home computer.
I have tried it using dialup from a different location and phone line. I
have tried Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows
XP Professional SP1 & SP2 on my home computers. I have checked task manager
on the work computer to look for network/memory/cpu problems to no avail.
I'm sure I've overlooked something.

The problem is only resolved by rebooting the work computer.

The only two solutions I have come up with, is to stay connected continously
to the work computer, which is not feasible, or run over to the office and
reboot the work computer, which defeats the purpose of Remote Desktop.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, comments, or observations.

Rob Hoffman

Try looking at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];811080

Also this fix is included in XP SP2.

Best Regards,
Rob Hoffman, MCSE
Microsoft Enterprise Support Engineer

from your issue.

| From: =?Utf-8?B?RVRC?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Slow Remote Desktop Screen Response
| Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:41:03 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
|
| I have an issue that is corrected only by rebooting my machine at work
(DELL
| P4 2.8GHz 512MB RAM running Windows XP Professional SP1).
|
| I receive very good response during the first Remote Desktop connection
| session to my computer at work from my home computer after the work
computer
| has been rebooted. On the next and subsequent connections, the response
time
| is very slow. For example, bringing up a new window of any kind, opening
| Explore, initaing a drop down list, logging off, etc. It is so slow that
it
| is unusable.
|
| I have tried it using DSL and Dialup. I have tried it using my home
| computer connected to my wireless network. I have tried it directly
| connected to the DSL modem. I have tried it using a different home
computer.
| I have tried it using dialup from a different location and phone line.
| have tried Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 98 Second Edition, and
Windows
| XP Professional SP1 & SP2 on my home computers. I have checked task
manager
| on the work computer to look for network/memory/cpu problems to no avail.

| I'm sure I've overlooked something.
|
| The problem is only resolved by rebooting the work computer.
|
| The only two solutions I have come up with, is to stay connected
continously
| to the work computer, which is not feasible, or run over to the office
and
| reboot the work computer, which defeats the purpose of Remote Desktop.
|
| Thanks in advance for any suggestions, comments, or observations.
|
| --
| ETB

Thanks Rob. SP2 was the fix for my problem.

Note: The work computer is running Win XP SP1. I was in error about trying
SP2 on my home laptop. I was actually using SP1. If I understand correctly,
having SP2 installed on the calling side (laptop) corrects this problem.

Thanks again.