    seem to speed up. After a couple of hours, the system seems to operate
    normally. Running XP Pro SP2
    ANY CLUES???

    herbzee, Feb 21, 2006

  2. herbzee

    Guest Guest

    Hi Herb,
    How many RAM you Have on your PC and Disk Space,if you have AV installed may
    be this the answer the AV take time to go through the Settings and Usage of
    the CPU,Open your Desk Manager and see which Processors use the CPU Most and
    how much,Scan for AdWare/Spware and have a loook at your Event Viewer for any
    Errors
    Hope this help
    please write back here
    nass

    Guest, Feb 21, 2006

  3. herbzee

    xy2z Guest

    herbzee Wrote:
    > Boot up is OK; BUT, when I launch a program it takes forever to load.
    > After long waits-using it-and closing it out, the same happens with
    > other programs. After a few uses of each and waiting forever, things
    > seem to speed up. After a couple of hours, the system seems to operate
    > normally. Running XP Pro SP2
    > ANY CLUES???

    Check your HDD free space, run a disk cleanup and defragment to improve
    program response times. Adding more Memory might help. Also limit
    programs loading during startup.

    xy2z

    xy2z, Feb 21, 2006
  4. herbzee

    herbzee Guest

    Hi Nass,
    Thanx for the input. What I did based on your reply was defrag thoroly
    2X and then do a start >run > MSConfig > Start Up, and UN check ALL the
    boxes.

    VOILA!!!!!!! Thing are speedy again. I'll recheck the boxes as I need them.

    BTW, I have 512 ram AV installed and plenty of disk space. I was told to
    get 1gb of ram, but this seems fast enuff. Particularly for an 86 year
    old. Thanx again for Ur interest.

    cheers-Herb.

    herbzee, Feb 23, 2006