Slingbox reliability?

Reaction score
Hi Dear Experts,

I'm thinking about buying Slingbox since although a Yank living in Houston, I'm working on my Phd. at the University of Liverpool (Yes, I know they'll just let anyone in nowadays). ;)
Sometimes, I do need a break, but while in the dorms there is a TV, it only gets two channels (and being the plebian I am, I miss a few of those American TV programs that are pure, mindless, escapism.) So has anyone used Slingbox in another country? If so, how did it work?

Kindest regards,
Linda

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
http://www.slingmedia.com/

I think we had someone ask or mention one of these a while ago, dont remember what was said and i cant find the thread now......

Sounds like a good idea in principle....

:)

Reaction score
Linda Bawcom said:
Hi Dear Experts,
I'm working on my Phd. at the University of Liverpool (Yes, I know they'll just let anyone in nowadays). ;)

Kindest regards,
Linda

Damn I hope I dont bump into you one evening on the beer then.

Intellectuals really scare me ;)

Reaction score
What Slingbox is

christopherpostill said:
What is this box that you speak of - i can't figure out what you mean...

Hi Chris, below is a description of Slingbox (that's the brand name)
Introducing the Slingbox™ — a groundbreaking piece of hardwired ingenuity that will literally transform the way you watch television. The Slingbox enables you to watch your TV programming from wherever you are by turning virtually any Internet-connected PC into your personal TV. Whether you’re in another room or in another country, you’ll always have access to your television.

You can get it for about $300.00 here (about 172 pounds sterling). Sounds really cool, but I can't find any reviews on it as far as reliability goes, maybe it's too new yet.

Linda

Reaction score
Slingbox etc.

TriplexDread said:
Damn I hope I dont bump into you one evening on the beer then.

Intellectuals really scare me ;)

Hey, TriplexDread-fancy 'seeing' you here again! I hope I do run into you-but you'd be disappointed. 1) I am not an intellectual-just an applied linguist, no where near as smart as you or the techies here 2) I'm over the hill at 57 so I'd probably be a drag-but my students at the university here in Houston usually have a lot of fun and we laugh a lot (mainly at me!).

Below is a description of a Slingbox that I sent to Christoper too. If you happened to run across any reviews as to it's strengths and weaknesses, let me know. I haven't looked really hard, but I haven't been able to find anything yet.

Introducing the Slingbox™ — a groundbreaking piece of hardwired ingenuity that will literally transform the way you watch television. The Slingbox enables you to watch your TV programming from wherever you are by turning virtually any Internet-connected PC into your personal TV. Whether you’re in another room or in another country, you’ll always have access to your television. (about $300 or 172 pounds sterling-cheap at twice the cost I figure-if it really works!)

Take care,
Linda

Reaction score
Slingbox

V_R said:
http://www.slingmedia.com/

I think we had someone ask or mention one of these a while ago, dont remember what was said and i cant find the thread now......

Sounds like a good idea in principle....

:)

Hi there, I did try doing a search too, but didn't find anything here. Below is a blurp about the Slingbox. Just wish I knew if it really worked well. Thanks a lot for answering though.
Introducing the Slingbox™ — a groundbreaking piece of hardwired ingenuity that will literally transform the way you watch television. The Slingbox enables you to watch your TV programming from wherever you are by turning virtually any Internet-connected PC into your personal TV. Whether you’re in another room or in another country, you’ll always have access to your television.

Take care,
Linda