[Slightly OT] Microsoft 'permalink' URLs

Tim Haughton

For the .Net framework 3.0, the download link is...

If I'm creating an installer, how do I find the permalink for
redistributables? For example, I need to package the Visual J# 2.0SE redist,
how do I find the permalink for it? If I look at the target of the URL for
downloading I end up with:

http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/...8cd0-759f-4815-8981-24b437be74ef/vjredist.exe

Which I'm not convinced is a good thing to be linking to. So the question
is, how do I find the LinkIds for the various redists I have to package up?

Tim Haughton

http://agilemicroisv.com
The Agile Micro ISV Blog

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Tim,

As for setup project's prerequisite, the url to download product you
mentioend is called "HomeSite" link. Based on my experience, not all the
products or redistributable package has such a directly HOMTSITE link,
however, for most products, you can use its mapping url(from
go.microsoft.com ) as its HOMTSITE link. Here is a forum thread wihch
mentioned the mapping url for V J# redist package:

#Visual J# Redistributable Package v2.0.50727
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=494999&SiteID=1

Hope this helps .

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng