Slackware

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All,
Finally got crunching with Slackware on Viglen 650 MHz. Nothing is obvious when setting up (to me)and my problem was after running BOINC Client, couldn't run BOINC Manager. Eventually tried opening another console and it worked.
I am beginning to get the first tiny flickering of perhaps understanding what is going on. If not, it is still very interesting to try.
Cheers,
peahouse05:)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Great work ...

To use the manager you need to type at the Konsol/shell in the BIONC folder ...

nohup ./boincmgr >& /dev/null &

... you can then close the konsol/shell without loosing the manager. :thumb:

If you ever have to reboot Slac, then open a konsol/shell in the BIONC folder and type ...

nohup ./boinc >& /dev/null &

... and Boinc will start running again where it left off ... and again, you can close the konsol/shell without boinc stopping.

I don't bother with any other scripts apart from ... killall boinc ... to stop it running. :D

Watch out for the spaces in there ... just copy-n-paste. ;)

Enjoy! :thumb:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks Mucks,
It's the '_' , '-' and ' ' that were catching me out. Take your point about copy n paste.
But it is good fun. Have downloaded and printed off 'Slackware Linux Essentials' by Alan Hicks. Should keep me busy when the weather closes in.
Cheers,
peahouse05
user.gif

Ask a Question