Skype crashes laptop

WithLove

Hello, All!

In the middle of a conversation with Skype on my laptop, sometimes suddenly
the screen goes black, some loud clicks on my headphones, and the laptop
turns off and then on again. Windows starts up again and I get a black
screen with big white characters asking me what I want. I choose: Start
Windows normally, and then sometimes checkdisk is starting. It takes ages to
finisch checkdisk.
Then Windows comes up and I start Skype again, I call the person back and
all runs normal.

This occurs approx. once every week.
Is this a hardware conflict?

Windows XP home with SP2
Skype all versions (1.x and 2.x)
Laptop: Acer Aspire 1353LC

Thanks...
WithLove.

Henry

WithLove said:
Hello, All!

In the middle of a conversation with Skype on my laptop, sometimes
suddenly the screen goes black, some loud clicks on my headphones, and the
laptop turns off and then on again. Windows starts up again and I get a
black screen with big white characters asking me what I want. I choose:
Start Windows normally, and then sometimes checkdisk is starting. It takes
ages to finisch checkdisk.
Then Windows comes up and I start Skype again, I call the person back and
all runs normal.

This occurs approx. once every week.
Is this a hardware conflict?

Windows XP home with SP2
Skype all versions (1.x and 2.x)
Laptop: Acer Aspire 1353LC

Thanks...
WithLove.

try this,

with Skype loaded go Tools, Options, Connection..............untick the box
"Use port 80 and 443 etc" then Save.

this has conflicts with certain other software using those ports.......

dj

kony

Hello, All!

In the middle of a conversation with Skype on my laptop, sometimes suddenly
the screen goes black, some loud clicks on my headphones, and the laptop
turns off and then on again. Windows starts up again and I get a black
screen with big white characters asking me what I want. I choose: Start
Windows normally, and then sometimes checkdisk is starting. It takes ages to
finisch checkdisk.
Then Windows comes up and I start Skype again, I call the person back and
all runs normal.

This occurs approx. once every week.
Is this a hardware conflict?

Windows XP home with SP2
Skype all versions (1.x and 2.x)
Laptop: Acer Aspire 1353LC

First, uncheck Windows' reboot-on-error setting,
(System Properties, Advanced, Startup & Recovery,
Automatically Reboot) to disable it,

then at least if Skype crashes you won't have to go through
the whole reboot process... if Skype can then gracefully
restart, else you'd have to reboot anyway to use it but at
least, maybe, you wouldn't lose any other work due to the
sudden restart.

WithLove

Hello, Henry!
You wrote on Fri, 16 Dec 2005 21:07:08 +0000 (UTC):

??>> In the middle of a conversation with Skype on my laptop, sometimes
??>> suddenly the screen goes black, some loud clicks on my headphones, and
??>> the laptop turns off and then on again.

H> try this,
H> with Skype loaded go Tools, Options, Connection..............untick the
H> box "Use port 80 and 443 etc" then Save.
H> this has conflicts with certain other software using those ports.......

Thanks Henry. I'll try this.

With best regards, WithLove.

WithLove

Hello, kony!
You wrote on Sat, 17 Dec 2005 01:24:38 GMT:

??>> In the middle of a conversation with Skype on my laptop, sometimes
??>> suddenly the screen goes black, some loud clicks on my headphones, and
??>> the laptop turns off and then on again.
k> First, uncheck Windows' reboot-on-error setting,
k> (System Properties, Advanced, Startup & Recovery,
k> Automatically Reboot) to disable it,

Thanks, koni. It was uncecked already.

With best regards, WithLove.