'Sitehound': Anyone else having trouble getting to use it?

Sylvia M.

This morning I got an e mail from Firetrust.
(I'm using the e-trust suite)

It offered a freeware program called 'Sitehound'.

Sounded good:
"SiteHound is a free toolbar for Internet Explorer
and is your first line of defense against internet threats
including phishing, scams, spyware, adware,
security risks and viruses from rogue websites.

Download your free copy of Sitehound here :

http://www.firetrust.com/firetrustsitehound/

Registered, Got it downloaded, but never got the e-mail
with info to get update or use.
Anyone else do better?

Sylvia

David H. Lipman

From: "Sylvia M." <[email protected]>

| This morning I got an e mail from Firetrust.
| (I'm using the e-trust suite)
|
| It offered a freeware program called 'Sitehound'.
|
| Sounded good:
| "SiteHound is a free toolbar for Internet Explorer
| and is your first line of defense against internet threats
| including phishing, scams, spyware, adware,
| security risks and viruses from rogue websites.
|
| Download your free copy of Sitehound here :
|
| http://www.firetrust.com/firetrustsitehound/
|
| Registered, Got it downloaded, but never got the e-mail
| with info to get update or use.
| Anyone else do better?
|
| Sylvia

Do you always get sh!t that is spammed to you ?

Sylvia M.

From: "Sylvia M." <[email protected]>

| This morning I got an e mail from Firetrust.
| (I'm using the e-trust suite)
|
| It offered a freeware program called 'Sitehound'.
|
| Sounded good:
| "SiteHound is a free toolbar for Internet Explorer
| and is your first line of defense against internet threats
| including phishing, scams, spyware, adware,
| security risks and viruses from rogue websites.
|
| Download your free copy of Sitehound here :
|
| http://www.firetrust.com/firetrustsitehound/
|
| Registered, Got it downloaded, but never got the e-mail
| with info to get update or use.
| Anyone else do better?
|
| Sylvia

Do you always get sh!t that is spammed to you ?
Oops!
It came from the e-trust site, so I assumed...duh...sorry... )-:

Sylvia

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Sylvia said:
This morning I got an e mail from Firetrust.
(I'm using the e-trust suite)

It offered a freeware program called 'Sitehound'.

"Firetrust's SiteHound installs as a toolbar within Internet Explorer
(and soon within Firefix [sic]) and warns the user if the current site
is in any way questionable. ..."

Personally, I can't see how it can block all those sites, and be up to
date ... those phishing scams change IPs more often than I change
underwear.
Sounded good:
"SiteHound is a free toolbar for Internet Explorer

and is your first line of defense against internet threats
including phishing, scams, spyware, adware,
security risks and viruses from rogue websites.

Practicing Safe Hex will do just as well.
Download your free copy of Sitehound here :

http://www.firetrust.com/firetrustsitehound/

Registered, Got it downloaded, but never got the e-mail
with info to get update or use.
Anyone else do better?

Probably dumped into your spam bucket. <lol>

Norman L. DeForest

Oops!
It came from the e-trust site, so I assumed...duh...sorry... )-:

Sylvia

Would it have any effect on your opinion of them if you knew that
not just once, but three times (January 7, 2005; March 14, 2005 and
May 21, 2005) they bounced live viruses to me when a worm forged my
address as the sender? In each case, I sent a report to them but at
least the first two complaints were ignored.

The first, my ISP's virus filter failed to disinfect because it couldn't
properly find the attachment:

: From <> Fri Jan 7 01:49:35 2005
: Date: 7 Jan 2005 05:46:52 -0000
: From: (e-mail address removed)
: To: (e-mail address removed)
: Subject: Virus: failure notice
: Warning: This message has had one or more attachments removed
: Warning: (file.pif).
: Warning: Please read the "VirusWarning.txt" attachment(s) for more
: information.
:
: Hi. This is the qmail-send program at lobster.firetrust.com.
: I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
: addresses.
: This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
:
: <[email protected]>:
: Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. vpopmail (#5.1.1)
:
: --- Below this line is a copy of the message.
:
: From: (e-mail address removed)
: To: (e-mail address removed)
: Subject: HELLO
: Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:44:18 +0800
: filename="file.pif"
:
: TVqQAAMAAAAEAAAA//8AALgAAAAAAAAAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
[BIG SNIP of infectious worm]
: aWJyYXJ5QQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABsjwQAXI8EAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=
:
: ------=_NextPart_000_0007_99DAED9D.5DF05053--

The second, my ISP's virus filter still failed to disinfect because it
couldn't properly find the attachment:

: From <> Mon Mar 14 03:50:42 2005
: Date: 14 Mar 2005 07:47:03 -0000
: From: (e-mail address removed)
: To: (e-mail address removed)
: Warning: This message has had one or more attachments removed
: Warning: (data.exe).
: <[email protected]>:
: Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. vpopmail (#5.1.1)
:
: --- Below this line is a copy of the message.
:
: From: (e-mail address removed)
: To: (e-mail address removed)
: Subject: Error
: Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:42:19 +0800
: filename="data.exe"
:
: TVqQAAMAAAAEAAAA//8AALgAAAAAAAAAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
[BIG SNIP of infectious worm]
: aWJyYXJ5QQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABsjwQAXI8EAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=
:
: ------=_NextPart_000_0003_BD09DF8E.9F22C21C--

The third copy was successfully disinfected after changes to my ISP's
virus filter:

: From <> Sat May 21 03:43:08 2005
: Date: 21 May 2005 06:41:24 -0000
: From: (e-mail address removed)
: To: (e-mail address removed)
: Warning: This message has had one or more attachments removed
: Warning: (doc.zip, doc.doc .scr).
: Warning: Please read the "VirusWarning.txt" attachment(s) for more
: information.
:
: This is a message from the MailScanner E-Mail Virus Protection Service
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
: The original e-mail attachment "the entire message"
: was believed to be dangerous and/or infected by a virus and has been
: replaced by this warning message.
:
: Please ask the sender of the message to disinfect their original
: version and send you a clean copy.
:
: At Sat May 21 03:41:27 2005 the scanner said:
: doc.doc .scr Infection: W32/Lovgate.X@mm
: Windows Screensavers are often used to hide viruses (doc.doc
: .scr)
:
: --
: Postmaster

C.

This morning I got an e mail from Firetrust.
(I'm using the e-trust suite)and ccleaner

It offered a freeware program called 'Sitehound'.

Sounded good:
"SiteHound is a free toolbar for Internet Explorer
and is your first line of defense against internet threats
including phishing, scams, spyware, adware,
security risks and viruses from rogue websites.

Download your free copy of Sitehound here :

http://www.firetrust.com/firetrustsitehound/

Registered, Got it downloaded, but never got the e-mail
with info to get update or use.
Anyone else do better?

Sylvia
Sylvia,
You have to be careful!

Google for adaware,spybot s&d,and ccleaner.All free and respectable.
Run them to check if that prog installed any garbage.Post back with any you can't remove.

C.

Sylvia M.

ucto.ns.ca...
Would it have any effect on your opinion of them if you knew that
not just once, but three times (January 7, 2005; March 14, 2005 and
May 21, 2005) they bounced live viruses to me when a worm forged my
address as the sender? In each case, I sent a report to them but at
least the first two complaints were ignored.

I stand educated!

Sylvia

Sylvia M.

C. said:
Sylvia,
You have to be careful!

Google for adaware,spybot s&d,and ccleaner.All free and respectable.
Run them to check if that prog installed any garbage.Post back with any you can't remove.

C.

Thanks for the suggestions, C.

I had already removed/uninstalled all that I could glean,

Today I downloaded and ran adaware, which came up with
"1 adshooter searchforit"
and "10 Hi-wire". Removed those.

Next ran Spybot s&d
found Mozilla tracking cookies
removed Double click, Advertising.com, and Avenue A.

Next downloaded C Cleaner
kept a few trused cookies, removed Lots of files and logs, since
1st time run...

I feel freshly showered!

Thanks!

Sylvia