since SP2 cannot use windows update function anymore

Horst Hohenböken

Hi everybody,

my system XP Pro, Pent 4, 1.8
since installing SP2 I cannot use the windows update link in IE6.0 anymore.

Also in Outlook Express when I receive mails with graphics I only see the
place holders.

Before I installed SP2 I closed my firewall and my spam stopper for OE.

Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks Horst

Robin Walker

Horst Hohenböken said:
my system XP Pro, Pent 4, 1.8
since installing SP2 I cannot use the windows update link in IE6.0
anymore.

What happens when you try - what is the exact text of any error message?
Also in Outlook Express when I receive mails with graphics I only see
the place holders.

This is by design: it is one of the measures in SP2 to protect your privacy.
If you still want to see the graphics, then adjust the Options in the Tools
menu.

Horst Hohenböken

Robin Walker said:
What happens when you try - what is the exact text of any error message?

there is no error message, it just says 'done' at end of page

This is by design: it is one of the measures in SP2 to protect your
privacy.
If you still want to see the graphics, then adjust the Options in the
Tools
menu.

I checked Options/Tools/Safety but couldn' find anything like 'allow
graphics or similar'.

Pls advise. Thanks very much

Horst

JAyL

Windows Update needs to install a little addon to scan and install updates.
Those images you say showing are animated gif.
Both elements are or needs ActivX controls to run properly, and because
those controls are not safe SP2 by default is set to protect you from that
risk.

You may have not enugh rights to chenge that or if you are the owner of the
pc, you have to run under administrator level account to gain the needed
permision.

Read about this in Internet Explorer Help, under the tutle:
What is active content and why does Internet Explorer restrict it?

Post your results about problems or if you find how to fix those. Please, it
will be usefull for those getting the same problems.

Cynthia

OK - with IE open, click on TOOLS and select the popup blocker and select the bottom choice. Copy and paste the URL into the window and ADD it.
Then click REFRESH button.

Robin Walker

Horst Hohenböken said:
I checked Options/Tools/Safety but couldn' find anything like 'allow
graphics or similar'.

Pull down Tools, select Options, tab "Security". See the option:

"Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail"

The default for this option is "checked", to block all images and external
content embedded in e-mail. For your security and privacy, you are advised
to keep this checked. (No-one really needs images embedded in e-mail). If
you want to live dangerously, and see the images in your e-mail, then
uncheck this option.

Horst Hohenböken

"Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail"

I don't have this option, I just have option: activate/deactivate pop up
blocker, and by the way

it was deactivated

Richard Hopkins

"Horst Hohenböken" wrote in message...>
I don't have this option, I just have option: activate/deactivate pop up
blocker, and by the way

it was deactivated

Wake up Horst, Robin is talking about the issue you have with graphics not
displaying inside Outlook Express. Look inside OE, and, as Robin says,
Tools/Options/Security and uncheck the "Block images and other external
content..." box...
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom