Since giving up smoking....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've been going quietly mad

Stopped smoking on April 19th

My sense of smell has improved at least by 100%, when travelling on bus, some people are really smelly. Really

I don't hack my guts up every morning.

Suddenly, I have untold energy

Food tastes good, never realised this for quite some time

I can swim 20 lengths rather than eight

Riding the bike is less bother

To counteract that, I've ben feeling really really proud of myself :)

I've been saving money, although that's the last reason I gave up. But. I've bought some PC Games and albums I wouldn't have bought had I been smoking.

I've now stopped smoking five weeks. Man, I twitchy. Have so much energy, it scary.

What made me stop? Throat cancer.

I survived. Those who also subscribe to BBF may have read my story.

Those who don't, realise it really ain't a lotta fun.

Like I said, I was lucky.

And no, I ain't gona turn into one of those born again non-smokers.

Hell, I miss smoking, I used to love it.

But, truth is, it messes you up. You cannot deny that.

I'm 55 years old. All that smoking caught up with me.

All you twenty years old or whatever, please, give that crap up, don't go through what I had to.

If you need further convincing, I'll post pix of the incision they made to my throat/neck/ear, it ain't pretty. In fact, it so bad, I growing a beard now.

Don't wanna preach, in fact I ain't, just letting you know :)

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Good to hear it's going well for you flops.

Well done.

I am a smoker at the moment, and do have intentions to stop really rather soon, but as any smoker knows it's not an easy choice choosing THAT DAY to stop. Fortunately I still have youth on my side - I'm 25 years now, and have been smoking for 9 years now, but every time I light up a ciggy I think it is relaxing and soothing, but it now tastes awfull. It's a really nasty addiction. A couple more days till I finish my duty free cigs off, then there's no temptation - thats the plan anyway, then I just have to pick my day to stop and say, right no more.

Once more, "Well Done Flops!"

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
As you know I read your experience over at BBF - and I implore anyone here to avoid going through what Flops has and give up smoking.

As many of you know my dad passed away before Christmas, and he died as a result of cancer exacerbated by a life of smoking - I can assure folks it ain't pretty to watch either :(

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hi ya Flopp's

I gave up the weed 9 years ago now after smoking for 19 years and have never looked back...Yes i know exactly what you mean when you said your sense of smell has improved, mine after 9 years is like 300% better and i can tell who's a smoker around me in Tesco's from ten feet away...

My tastebuds got a lot better as well, The only problem i had was trying to control the weight, i used to be around 11 stone but after giving up i'm now around 15 stone, so the weight gain is there but it comes at you slowly over i'd say a 2 year period...you'll weigh at least a stone more come this time next year....

Only advice i can give you is try to change your routine as much as possible to keep the thoughts of the dreaded weed out of your head...Oh and one last thing respect where its due........It ain't easy is it....:nod:

Reaction score
Good on ya m8 !!!!

I'm really against smoking to be honest, but as you say everyone to their own.

Well done :thumb: :thumb: :nod:

Oh BTW whats wrong with being 15stone ;)

Reaction score
Absolutely well done to you for giving up the weed Flops,

You see I am a smoker and have been since the 60's when it was considered 'cool' to smoke,

Many a time I've tried to give up but unfortunately my willpower is rubbish although to be honest I've cut down dramatically since the house was re-furbished and smoking is banned indoors. Even by cutting down though my health has improved somewhat and breathing isn't such a chore anymore:(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well done that man! :thumb:

Swimmin' now too ... when you starting Cricket. :D

I'm sorry to say, but I'll probably go out in 'my box' with a fag in my mouth.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Good luck

I gave up 8 years ago, but do use nicotine inhaltor when stressed. Using this form of nicotine does not give you cancer, but it does addict you to nicotine.

Stick to it and if you feel the urge to go back try a passive method like nicotine replacement products. Oh and for a laugh, when i gave up years ago i had a dream of a large ciggie running after me:blush:

And if you want any support from a fellow ex-smoker let me know.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Amazing to think that there are all of those changes only 1 month on - I'm damn proud Tony! :D

I won't even pretend to know how hard it is to give up smoking, but I know people around me that are always trying to give it up but haven't yet (and only 21-23). Stick with it :)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
I did too

Well done Flops...i used to do 40 a day but packed in 4 years ago..i`ll echo your sentiments to all ages ...Stop... with patches and all...its slightly easier..you still need massive will power though :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Good on ya for quitting Flops. :thumb: As a smoker i know how hard it is to give that sh*t up....

Can i borrow your will power later? :D

Cancer is a nasty nasty disease. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I read you post over at BBF, and was moved by the whole story, and that scar....:eek:

Maximum respect to you Tony.
nod.gif
:thumb:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Respect.

BTW, as to the 'smelly' situation. Friend of mine in London cycles in to work every day, she quotes the same reasons as to the public transport system :rolleyes:

& don't worry, the cravings do go away after a while & you don't even think about it most of the time.
Only in the occasional situation & your motivation is plenty good enough to handle that.

Oh, & I know it may sound silly, but try taking up lollypops for a while. Never thought of it myself but have had a lot of friends say it helps a lot during the transition period & works better than chewwing-gum.

Look after yourself :)

PM me anytime.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Why, thankee everybody for your replies :)

Simple truth is I daren't start smoking again. The Surgeon/Consultant told me that the cancerous lymph gland was an allergic reaction to all that smoke travelling over my throat for all those years.

He said if I carried on smoking the cancer would return.

So, it's basically stop smoking and live or smoke and die. Which would you choose?

Strange thing, smoking. All of my friends who smoke still do, even after my experience. They all just think it won't happen to them. And maybe it won't, I dunno. I hope not.

And I would probably have been the same. That's how addictive smoking is :(

I actually got two week's supply of Nicotine patches from my GP but I went 3 days in Hospital not smoking so when I came out I thought if I've got that far I may as well go completely cold turkey and not put any more nicotine into my body.

(so if anybody wants two weeks worth of nicotine patches, worth about £27.00, PM me and they're yours for the price of the post and packaging, about £1.50 :D )

It actually depresses me a little, when I realise that when I get home and relax, I can't smoke, makes me twitchy. And I keep doing things, all the time I'm doing stuff I would have previously ignored. Got home today and put two cupboards up, would never have done that if I'd been smoking ;)

Still, like I said, the advantages are almost outweighing the craving, and I feel good. But, and all you smokers know this, lol, I sometimes feel bad, having no cigs :(

It is getting easier though, as each day passes.

I go back to Guys hospital on the 16th June for a checkup, if the consultant tells me the cancer's come back with a vengenance and I'm riddled with it, then I'm gonna smoke myself to death :D

But, that ain't gonna happen, me just kidding :)

Again, thanks for all your responses, they touched me. The main reason I posted was to let peeps know that cancer isn't always automatically a death sentence, medicine's getting better and it can often be beat :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hi Flopp's

Just doing a little check up....Its been nearly 4 months now and i hope the cravings for the fags are virtually gone......

Hope the check-up on the 16th june went well and the consultant gave you good news...:nod:

What about the twitchyness and cupboard building has it subsided....;)

Hope you don't mind me checking up on you after all these months..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, I'd be less than honest if I didn't say I still miss smoking.

But it is a lot easier now, most of the time it doesn't bother me at all.

I find I feel a lot fitter and not short of breath when running up lots of stairs, for instance. When I smoked, I did get short of breath.

June 16th Checkup was Ok and I had a August 4th checkup too. When I saw the surgeon/consultant on Aug 4th, he had another senior consultant with him. He said to her, talking about me, 'oh, it's early days for him yet'.

That got me worried, what the hell does he mean? I was too shocked to ask him.

I have another appointment on October 6th and at sometime before then, I should be having a full PET scan. This is to check the cancer hasn't lodged elsewhere in my body as in the consultant's words 'Surgery is good at removing cancer we know is there and radiating you will ensure we kill all of the cancer. As we considered you low risk, we didn't radiate you. So we're going to scan you.

'This is because sometimes microscopic cells can break away from the original cancer and lodge elsewhere, where they will start to grow'.

So, it's still scary stuff, not much fun at all. But I'm optimistic.

And I've put on a stone in weight :D I'm now 12.5 stone :eek: (I was previously 11.5 stone and I'm 5' 11").

And I really don't like being in smoker's company, they smell. They really do. To think I was like that. Yuk.

Thanks for asking, crazylegs :)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
well done m8

By flops
'oh, it's early days for him yet'

Thats because it takes so long to heal the lungs...5 years for them to fully recover...I`m nearly there now (wawhoooo).. every day is better and now all i worry about is something else so ...well done m8 ..i really do know how difficult it is.. My Dad had a stroke a couple of years ago..he still smokes but likes to tell me he`s cutting down(i know differently) he is 64 ..it will kill him but he`s my Dad and they know best eh (silly bugger)...

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Reading through these posts has been awfully moving. I'm so glad to hear that your health is improving Flops, and long may it continue to do so. All the very best for your next check-up.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Have to admit I have been worrying a bit about how you are... I'm glad to hear things are going well. Each check up must be a run through the mill though. Hopefully the Pet scan will be good news.
Still here if ever you need me. No matter how long it's been or what's going on.
hugs, ciri :)

darcy

Enjoyin' the Breeze
Reaction score
1st i have read of this here, flopps,,

you are indeed one o' the "lucky" ones,, yrs ago, family friend of parents had same { throat cancer }; 1st required layrnx removed,, 'n' then finally succumbed,,

tuvm for posting it can be beaten :), ~ 'n' best wishes for continued good reports. :)

cheers to you as well, Rush :thumb:

Ask a Question