significance of $ sign in a excel formulea

Reaction score
hi,

i wud like to know the significance of $ sign in a excel formulea, i could understand to some extent that it used to have the certain range constant, but do we have insert the sign manually or it takes automatically

eg..=SUMPRODUCT(A2:A143=F5)*(B2:B143=G3)*(D2:D143=G1)*(C2:C143)

the correct formula is
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$410=$F5)*($B$2:$B$410=G$3)*($D$2:$D$410=$G$1)*($C$2:$C$410))
this is the formula which i was trying but the range kept changing wen i copied the formula in the next cell, where i dont need the range to be chnaged, for which i need to insert $ sign.....however i dont concept the same.......................can any one help regarding the same..........

Reaction score
hey guys!!!

common 15 times my posting has been viewed but no reply...is that so easy that you guy dont want to reply or is it tuff.............:)

Reaction score
hi!!!

i understood the significance of $ sign in an formula, but then i wud like to know if there a way that it hapns automatically......

Ask a Question