    Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.

    What can I do to resolve the problem and get my computer back up and
    working. Thank you all for your help.

    Guest, Jan 10, 2006

  2. BnBSmith90 wrote:
    > I have a DELL Demension 2400 that I ran F disk on and now tring to
    > reload Windows XP Home. When I get to the installing part Windows
    > XP Home, it goes through the checking of hardware and software
    > compatability and comes back with this error:
    > The following value in the .SIF file used by Setup is corrupt or
    > missing:
    >
    > Value 0 on the line in section [SourceDisksFiles] with key
    > "SP1.cab".
    >
    > Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.
    >
    > What can I do to resolve the problem and get my computer back up and
    > working. Thank you all for your help.

    Original CD that Dell sent you (or the original recovery partition)?
    Contact Dell.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Jan 10, 2006

  3. The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Jan 10, 2006
  4. Hello,
    Everytime I have seen this error the boot floppies were being used to start
    setup.
    The boot floppies that were used do not match the version of the CD that is
    being used.
    If the CD is SP1 then the boot floppies for the SP1 cd must be used.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    <From: "=?Utf-8?B?Qm5CU21pdGg5MA==?=" <>
    <Subject: .SIF file used by Setup is corrupt or missing