Shuttle And DVD Playback

Reaction score
Hi There,
Just bought myself a SB83G5 Shuttle PC, and stuck a DVD in to watch and it was REALLY jerky.. sound stopping and everything.

It works fine on my old AMD Athlon XP 2000+ !!! - Am begining to think i should have stuck with that!

I have updated the graphics drivers and sound drivers to the newest versions, but still no joy. It doesnt matter if i use powerdvd or windows media centre... it's all jerky!

I am using the onboard graphics, 512MB RAM, plenty of HD space and a P4 3GHz Processor!

Any help gratefully received, cos I am stuck!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sad little box, init ...

The onboard graphics from the chipset are just enough for 2D and Office applications. If you want more, you will have to move to a PCI Express graphics card. AGP cards can no longer be used. :(

Should have asked first. ;)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh dear.. looks like somebody made a boo-boo..:(

Thats gonna cost you another couple-a-quid for one of those nice shiny new Pci Express graphics cards....

Come on then tell us how much you have to spend and i'm sure we can tailor a new card for you from a good source..;)

Reaction score
Ach!

I knew nothing would be simple! -- then again, didnt realy expect it to!

I had a large noisy old computer vibrating a way on top of my waldrobe, and had had enough! Saw my brothers Shuttle which he bought a couple of years ago. And thought - ooooooooh, I'll get one of those!

The difference between him and me being that he loves to play computer games and spent something like 250quid on a graphics card to put in it. Me thinking that all I do is watch DVDs and use word and send email, would not bother with the expensive and use the onboard one. The description of the SB83G5 says that it's great for ............. blah blah blah AND playing DVDs! - There was no * saying ONLY if you put a better graphics card in!

The barebones was 219 quid and the chip a little over 100quid. Had all the other bits all ready.
But now it seems I need one of these PCI-E cards. So how much would one of those be then.... only want it to play DVDs.... I never intend to play 3d games or anything. Any suggestions as to a good card? :confused:

Many thanks for confirming as I thought, that onboard graphics are pretty much a waste of time... sigh!
Lets move on to PCI-E! - Any suggestions .
Cheers.

Reaction score
Out of interest

out of interested, could any explain why sometimes i can watch perhaps 45 of dvd playback without stutters, and other times, only a few seconds... there's nothing else running in the background..... cheers.

Reaction score
Windows is running in the background, Windows demands power, Windows is what nicks the RAM, Processor speed, and graphics.

Try using the PC for a couple of hours and seeing what the DVD playback is like, Then restart and try a DVD straight away.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
haverer said:
out of interested, could any explain why sometimes i can watch perhaps 45 of dvd playback without stutters, and other times, only a few seconds... there's nothing else running in the background..... cheers.
Not really, computers have their own agenda, oh, and apologies for sounding a little cocky in my post earlier, you'll get used to my ways.

The one thing you need to remember is, no manufacturer is going to tell you what is bad about their systems ... we have to rely on people being 'caught out' to tell us ... on-board graphics should be banned, unless it is stamped "for office use only" where one should be working and not 'playing' on company time. :D

Welcome to the Forum by the way. :thumb:

Ask a Question