shut down, sleep or hibernate?

lemmy

Someone told me i should not shut down my system at night but put it into
hibernate or sleep mode instead. Is this correct? I would worry about plugs
overheating etc. I have Vista Home Premium pre installed. Thanks in
advance.

Ken Blake, MVP

Someone told me i should not shut down my system at night but put it into
hibernate or sleep mode instead. Is this correct? I would worry about plugs
overheating etc. I have Vista Home Premium pre installed. Thanks in
advance.

There is no "correct."

This question is asked periodically and usually garners all sorts of
fervent responses, on both sides of the question. Some people never
turn off their computers, claiming turning them off can cause the
hardware to fail sooner. Others turn them on and off multiple times
each day, to save electricity.

My view is that it doesn't matter very much either way, and you should
do what works best for you. Personally I power on once a day, when I
get up in the morning, and power off once a day, when I go to bed at
night.

Anando [MVP]

Hello Lemmy,

You would be surprised, but a pretty god FAQ about power saving options is already present in the
Windows Vista help and support center. Click on start and click on "Help and Support". In the Help
and Support application, type in 'power' and hit enter. In the search results, click on the very
first link titled 'Turn off a computer: frequently asked questions'. I hope that provides you with
enough information. If you need more specific info, do post back.

--
Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Microsoft Certified Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/mcp

My Blog
http://www.anando.org/blog

KDE

agreed that it may not matter very much, however, 1 thing to consider...
many programs (antivirus, spyware, windows update) are scheduled by default
to run, scan, etc... during the middle of the night when you are most likely
not using the PC. My mother-in-law is religious about shutting down her PC
every time she quits using it and as a result, it is very often, not up to
date on updates and virus/spyware scans. I finally have her convinced to at
least leave it on overnight twice a week.

mikeyhsd

many people are having problems with hibernation and vista.
if you system will not hibernate and stay that way then it might be better to use it.
if if does not stay asleep, then turn it off.

(e-mail address removed)

Someone told me i should not shut down my system at night but put it into
hibernate or sleep mode instead. Is this correct? I would worry about plugs
overheating etc. I have Vista Home Premium pre installed. Thanks in
advance.

KristleBawl

Personal opinion and preference!

I left my old Win98SE on all the time, but restarted a couple times each
day, especially first thing in the morning, and only shut down during
storms. My scheduled tasks ran one per night, scandisk on Monday, complete
AV scan every Tuesday, defragged on Wednesday, etc., all at 3AM. Instead of
a screen saver, my monitor used power saver mode but not the pc itself.

My new Vista pc stays on all the time, but restarted a couple times each
day, especially first thing in the morning, and only shut down during
storms. It runs auto update at 3AM by default and I scheduled defrag for 5AM
once a week. Instead of a screen saver, my monitor uses power mode but not
the pc itself.

I never tried sleep or hibernate. I'm a bit of a night owl and that works
best for me. I am very set in my ways. :)

KB

"lemmy" wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...

Byron Hinson

As others say it is more for what works for you (or what works at all in
terms of Sleep etc and certain hardware)

I've always prefered sleep mode in Vista, but after building a new PC the
other day my new machine can never come back out from sleep without a black
screen. So I've switched to hibernate, which while isn't my favourite it
does have the benefit of not using any power....not sure if it will still
record my programs I setup in media center when off though!

Mike Seid

Microsoft is currently working on a hotfix for Vista sleep problems. You
can get it now throught Microsoft but they suggest to wait until it appears
in a future update.