Ship High In Transport (S.H.I.T.)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before commercial fertilizer's invention, so large shipments of manure were common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, it not only
became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas.

As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen.

Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening.

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term "Ship High In Transport" on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.
Thus evolved the term "S.H.I.T", (Ship High In Transport) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word. Neither did I. I had always thought it was a computer term!
laughingsmiley.gif

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Nice one Quad :thumb:

Any chance you can give us the history of C.R.A.P?

:D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Crap is either a slang or vulgar term meaning poor quality or faeces respectively. In its former meaning it also connotes inaccurate, of little factual substance, lies, hype, or quackery. It can be partnered with "bull" to enhance the power of the word. It is commonly used to express wonder or surprise where other words are too strong, as in "Holy crap!" instead of "Holy ****!"

The word is considered by some people to be a less offensive than **** which holds similar meanings. Some people find the word crap offensive, and will use the minced oath "crud" instead, as in "Oh, crud!" Alternatively, for some people, crap retains its association with faeces to a greater extent than ****, and is therefore more offensive than the latter.

Crap's popularity as an all-purpose word has given rise to a number of derived words, including but not limited to:

* crapola — noun, same meaning as crap.
* crappy — adjective, meaning poor quality.
* crappo — same meaning, in Spanglish.
* craptacular — a portmanteau of crappy and spectacular
* craptastic — a portmanteau of crappy and fantastic
* craplicious — a portmanteau of crappy and delicious, used when something tastes similar to what crap would be imagined to taste like
* crapmaster — one who is skilled in the art of crapping
* crappety-crap-crap — uncommon expletive

Is this good enough :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
laughingsmiley.gif
Thanks Quad, I knew we could rely on you to know :D

*or was it Wikipedia ;)

Ask a Question