Sharing data across a closed network

O

otisim

Ok, here is my scenario:

I have 2 servers, one located on a closed (private) network (Server A)
and another on the public network (Server B). The Private and the
Public network both share the same IP addreses and names so they can
NOT be on the same subnet. SO, I have connected them via a Xover cable
and a 192.168.x.x address.

I have data on Server A that I need to access from the Public network.
Can I use some kind of share or access point from Server B?

DFS will not work, you cannot share a map, and I am stumped!

Thanks for all your help in advance

Steve

S

Steve Duff [MVP]

Irrespective of some rather formidible security concerns I would have, you should be able to create a DFS root, host it on Server B,
create a link to a share on Server A, and be able to access that link as a top-level folder though the DFS share.

You cannot access it through the physical root location on the server which may be why you think it doesn't work, and you cannot
link in a mapped letter, you have to link in the UNC path to the share.

Again, all of this requires the sharing ports be open between the two systems, so Server B isn't really acting as any kind of DMZ
that will defend you against much.

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

O

otisim

Steve,

How would I set that up? I tried to use the UNC and the IP but was
getting a message similar to "you do not have permissions.....". As a
test for now, we have it wide open so permissions would not be an
issue. According to the Microsoft reps we have here on site, you MUST
have physical access to the machine over the network for DFS to work.
This was after I had set up the root and the link accordingly

S

Steve Duff [MVP]

I do not know what is causing your permissions problem, >unless< again you are trying to view the link through the physical
subfolder you created on the root-hosting server's disk, which will not work. You have to access DFS links through the DFS share
name \\domain\dfsshare\link . You can of course deep-root-map these to a drive letter on your client.

You need the same permissions you would need to access that network resource directly, and the client needs to be able to resolve
the NetBIOS or fqdn of the referral that DFS gives it. (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;244380)

I don't know what to say except that it is not correct that you must have a physical connection to the other disk to use DFS. 5
minutes ago I created a domain DFS root on one of our testbed 2003 servers and linked it to my personal workstation shares. And
believe me those disks are not interconnected (thank heavens). So perhaps I don't completely understand what they are trying to
accomplish.

A large part of the concept of DFS is to integrate remote resource referrals into a single resource tree. You do need a redirector
client that is DFS-aware, which is I believe only a problem on older WIn9x and Windows 3.1 systems.

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

Ask a Question