Shared printer

Tim Brown

I have a shared printer on a W2K workstation (HPLJ5). I am able to print to
the printer from this workstation but when I print to this printer from any
other workstation the printer prints either blank pages or distorted
printouts.

I have deleted and reinstalled the driver on the 'owner' PC and deleted and
reinstalled the shared printer on other workstations. I have also run
Chkdsk and defrag on the 'owner' PC.

Any ideas?

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Hello Tim,

Thank you for your post.

Let's perform the following tests to narrow down the problem's scope:

1. Let completely remove the printer drivers on the printer server and
reinstall the latest driver from HP's website.

Step 1 Delete the current driver completely.
==================

1. Click Start->Settings->Printers.
2. On the File menu, click Server Properties item.
3. Choose the Driver page.
4. Choose the HP LaserJet 5 item and then click Remove button.
5. Click the Yes button to confirm.

Step 2 Please check if the latest printer driver works.
==================

For HP Laser Jet 5 printer, the drivers can be downloaded from:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID
=14997&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=25479&prodTypeId=18972&swEnvOID=
181

Step 3 Redirect LPT port.
==================
Run this command in the Command Prompt:

net use LPT2 \\Servername\PrinterSharename

where Servername is the computer name of the Windows 2k machine which the
printer is installed on, and PrinterSharename is the share name of the
printer.

2. If the problem still persists, please connect the printer to another
Windows 2000 machine, install drivers, share it, and print from a third
computer to see if it works. If the problem does not occur again, I think
that we need to focus our next troubleshooting on the problematic printer
server.

Also, please let me know what operating systems are running on the other
workstation machines. Are they all Windows 2000 systems?

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

|From: "Tim Brown" <[email protected]>
|Subject: Shared printer
|Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 15:35:40 -0000
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
|
|I have a shared printer on a W2K workstation (HPLJ5). I am able to print
|the printer from this workstation but when I print to this printer from any
|other workstation the printer prints either blank pages or distorted
|printouts.
|
|I have deleted and reinstalled the driver on the 'owner' PC and deleted and
|reinstalled the shared printer on other workstations. I have also run
|Chkdsk and defrag on the 'owner' PC.
|
|Any ideas?

Tim Brown

Thanks, but I ended up having to reimage the print server as there was a
problem in the OS which was interfering in the print process from other
PC's.

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for your update. I understand that it may be an inconvenient
process to reinstall the server. However, I am glad that everything works
now. Please monitor this server and feel free to let us know if the problem
comes back.

Thank you for using our news groups!

=
|> 181
|>
|> Step 3 Redirect LPT port.
|> ==================
|> Run this command in the Command Prompt:
|>
|> net use LPT2 \\Servername\PrinterSharename
|>
|> where Servername is the computer name of the Windows 2k machine which the
|> printer is installed on, and PrinterSharename is the share name of the
|> printer.
|>
|> 2. If the problem still persists, please connect the printer to another
|> Windows 2000 machine, install drivers, share it, and print from a third
|> computer to see if it works. If the problem does not occur again, I think
|> that we need to focus our next troubleshooting on the problematic printer
|> server.
|>
|> Also, please let me know what operating systems are running on the other
|> workstation machines. Are they all Windows 2000 systems?
|>
|> I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!
|>
|> Regards,
|> Joe Wu
|> Product Support Services
|> Microsoft Corporation
|>
|> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
|>
|> ====================================================
|> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
|> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
|> ====================================================
|> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
|rights.
|>
|> --------------------
|> |From: "Tim Brown" <[email protected]>
|> |Subject: Shared printer
|> |Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 15:35:40 -0000
|> |Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
|> |the printer from this workstation but when I print to this printer from
|any
|> |other workstation the printer prints either blank pages or distorted
|> |printouts.
|> |
|> |I have deleted and reinstalled the driver on the 'owner' PC and deleted
|and
|> |reinstalled the shared printer on other workstations. I have also run
|> |Chkdsk and defrag on the 'owner' PC.
|> |
|> |Any ideas?
|> |