SFC - System File Checker - won't correct faults it found

notaguru

SFC works fine, and according to the log (Windows/Logs/CBS) it
found corrupted files.

Some were automatically repaired, but apparently others could
not be. What do I do next?

Also, does SFC ever run automatically in the background?

Thanks

John Barnes

Are you saying you ran sfc /scannow and it did not ask for the Vista
distro. Some Microsoft Press books say it should, though I haven't
experienced the need to.

dean-dean

Since the cbs.log may be huge (it's used by other programs besides the SFC),
you might want to do this:

To create relevant SFC-only information gleaned from the cbs.log, and put it
in a small file called sfcdetails.txt, right-click Command Prompt (using the
shortcut in Start Menu\Programs\Accessories) and choose Run as
Administrator. By default, the prompt starts in C:\Users\(Your Name).
Type:

cd desktop

Press Enter on your keyboard. Then Copy and Paste this at the prompt:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Press Enter. Sfcdetails.txt should then appear on your Desktop.

Looking at entries for the latest date in sfcdetails.txt, what files are
noted as being problematic?
Also, does SFC ever run automatically in the background?

SFC is a program run by using Command Prompt, so, no, it does run
automatically.

notaguru

Right. The message was something like 'SFC complete, some errors
cannot be repaired.' I looked at the log, and it was in Greek.
Here is an extract showing two failures-to-repair:

************************************
2007-09-07 21:05:20, Info CSI 00000140 [SR]
Beginning Verify and Repair transaction

Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"tcpmon.ini" of
Microsoft-Windows-Printing-StandardPortMonitor-TCPMonINI,
Version = 6.0.6000.16386, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0),

Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of
Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6000.16386
************************************

There was a lot more, showing comparative data and nonmatches.

No request for the disc - which wasn't included in this new Dell
laptop. Instead, there's a 10GB partition that presumably
contains Vista files.

dean-dean

Ooops.
SFC is a program run by using Command Prompt, so, no, it does run
automatically.

That should be "... no, it does not run automatically."

notaguru said:
SFC works fine, and according to the log (Windows/Logs/CBS) it found
corrupted files.

Some were automatically repaired, but apparently others could not be.
What
do I do next?

Also, does SFC ever run automatically in the background?

Thanks

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello John,
In Windows Vista, SFC /scannow will not prompt for the disk for files.
If the Microsoft Press books state that they are incorrect.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "John Barnes" <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: SFC - System File Checker - won't correct faults it found
|> Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 10:02:43 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> Are you saying you ran sfc /scannow and it did not ask for the Vista
|> distro. Some Microsoft Press books say it should, though I haven't
|> experienced the need to.

|> > corrupted files.
|> >
|> > Some were automatically repaired, but apparently others could not be.
What
|> > do I do next?
|> >
|> > Also, does SFC ever run automatically in the background?
|> >
|> > Thanks

Peter Foldes

John

Running SFC when problems are found it will NOT ask for the media. I do not know why Microsoft Press would state otherwise

John Barnes

Thanks for the clarification. I was relying on the book Windows Vista
Inside/Out page 824. "It might prompt you for Windows Vista distribution
media in order to carry out its repairs"
Given the way it is now installed I didn't see how, but without mounting the
disk, I thought there might be a separate folder of critical system files.

My computer was unable to do error checking (chkdsk) and errors began to
accumulate. System restore did not go back far enough to restore this
function. System File Check identified a corrupt system file "autochk.exe"
that sfc was unable to repair. Instead of doing a clean install, I was able
to do an Upgrade Install that preserved my programs, devices, settings, etc.
(see John Barnett Windows MVP).

I wanted to replace my corrupt system file with a good one from the Vista
Install DVD without having to do a complete install, but was unable to do
this until now. From multiple sources including contributors on Vista
Communities, Windows IT Pro, How-To Geek, and Vistax64 Forum, I have put
together a tutorial on how to access files from your Vista Install DVD that
you can use to replace corrupt files in your OS. See the link below:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/86959-access-vista-install-dvd-files.html

System File Check will identify corrupt system files that it can't repair
(see CBS.log). You can replace these corrupt files with good copies from the
Vista Install DVD. Many thanks to those who contributed to this solution.

Ooops.

notaguru said:
SFC works fine, and according to the log (Windows/Logs/CBS) it found
corrupted files.

Some were automatically repaired, but apparently others could not be.
What
do I do next?

Also, does SFC ever run automatically in the background?

Thanks

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello John,
There is a separate copy of the what are considered the boot critical files
that can be repaired with SFC while offline.
These are in the \windows\winsxs\backup, but the number of files there are
limited.

Mounting the wim file from the DVD and manually copying the files from the
mounted location to the OS location is the only way to replace a corrupted
file that cannot be repaired with SFC.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "John Barnes" <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: SFC - System File Checker - won't correct faults it found
|> Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 12:54:12 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> Thanks for the clarification. I was relying on the book Windows Vista
|> Inside/Out page 824. "It might prompt you for Windows Vista
distribution
|> media in order to carry out its repairs"
|> Given the way it is now installed I didn't see how, but without mounting
the
|> disk, I thought there might be a separate folder of critical system
files.

message
|> > In Windows Vista, SFC /scannow will not prompt for the disk for files.
|> > If the Microsoft Press books state that they are incorrect.
|> > Thanks,
|> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|> >
|> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|> > --------------------

Vista

|> > What

John Barnes

Thank you for the information.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello John,
There is a separate copy of the what are considered the boot critical
files
that can be repaired with SFC while offline.
These are in the \windows\winsxs\backup, but the number of files there are
limited.

Mounting the wim file from the DVD and manually copying the files from the
mounted location to the OS location is the only way to replace a corrupted
file that cannot be repaired with SFC.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "John Barnes" <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: SFC - System File Checker - won't correct faults it found
|> Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 12:54:12 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> Thanks for the clarification. I was relying on the book Windows Vista
|> Inside/Out page 824. "It might prompt you for Windows Vista
distribution
|> media in order to carry out its repairs"
|> Given the way it is now installed I didn't see how, but without
mounting
the
|> disk, I thought there might be a separate folder of critical system
files.

message
|> > In Windows Vista, SFC /scannow will not prompt for the disk for
files.
|> > If the Microsoft Press books state that they are incorrect.
|> > Thanks,
|> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|> >
|> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|> > --------------------

Vista

not
be.
|> > What

i performed the same sfc scan after a power outtage that caused my computer
to shut off during start up, now it's all screwed up... the scan told me
there were files that were corrupted. they were logged in a CBS.Log, whatever
that is. i have a sony laptop that came without a vista install DVD. how can
i repair this error? thanks in advance for any help you may be able to
provide.

uvbogden said:
[...]

Ooops.

dean-dean said:
[...]

Mr. Arnold

zeek said:
i performed the same sfc scan after a power outtage that caused my computer
to shut off during start up, now it's all screwed up... the scan told me
there were files that were corrupted. they were logged in a CBS.Log,
whatever
that is. i have a sony laptop that came without a vista install DVD. how
can
i repair this error? thanks in advance for any help you may be able to
provide.

There should have been some instructions for making the Recovery DVD/CD for
the O/S, which I'll assume your laptop comes equipped with a read/write
DVD/CD drive. Or you got a Recovery DVD from Sony. That Recovery DVD/CD
when made will allow you to install the O/S if you loose the O/S on the
laptop or possibly repair the O/S.

It is an absolute must that you make that Recovery DVD/CD due to the fact
that the O/S is pre-installed by the manufacture of the laptop, and you have
no discs for the O/S from the manufacture.

My advise here is to get on the phone with Sony's tech support and let them
get you out of this situation. The second thing after that is you ask them
how to make that Recovery DVD/CD. You have to make that Recovery disc or you
will be totally hosed, if you have to do something to restore/install the
O/S.