"Setup is Being Restarted" Loop

Discussion in 'Windows XP Setup' started by Robert Pitney, Sep 28, 2003.

  1. My father-in-law recently obtained the W32.Swen.A@mm
    virus that brought his Windows XP Home PC to its knees.
    Over the phone, I guided him through the removal
    instructions as posted on the Symantec web site.
    Unfortunately, he could not get the removal tool because
    of a lack of an Internet connection. After making the
    changes to the registry of the machine, he went to reboot
    and Windows failed to boot. I told him to put in his
    Windows XP Home CD and reinstall Windows XP with
    the "repair" option.

    The problem is that the repair option hangs the PC when
    it is installing hardware. It asks for a file
    viaagp1.sys, which my father-in-law did not know how to
    get, so he skipped the file and setup hangs about 2
    minutes later. I now have the PC in my possession and
    have repeated the same process, but this time I fed it a
    viaagp1.sys file downloaded from the Via web site. The
    machine still hangs before setup completes.

    Here's the problem: I cannot do a F&R or a normal
    Windows XP setup on this PC because this PC is the main
    PC for a church and there are lots of critical documents
    in the My Documents folders of various users. I suspect
    that there is a good Windows install sitting below the
    surface, but some flag at bootup makes it go backup into
    setup with the "setup is being restarted" screen. I have
    tried to boot into safe mode with networking to see if I
    can at least copy the critical files off of the PC to
    another machine so I can do a full install, but I keep
    getting a message the setup cannot run in safe mode and
    the PC reboots to the "setup is being restarted screen".

    I feel like I am in a catch-22 loop here and my Internet
    searches on how to stop the setup program from restarting
    at bootup have come up with nothing. Can someone please
    help me? I want to either find a way to make the repair
    install go to completion without hanging on the hardware
    portion of setup -OR- a way that will let me boot into
    safe mode with networking to copy the critical data off
    of the PC and I will then do a F&R. Can either of these
    be done, or is this church's data SOL? BTW, file system
    format is NTFS.

    Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

    Robert Pitney, Sep 28, 2003

  2. Robert Pitney

    Nicholas Guest

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    --
    Nicholas

    Nicholas, Sep 28, 2003

  3. Robert Pitney

    murray Guest

    stick the hard drive into another pc as a slave and copy
    the data that way.

    murray, Sep 29, 2003