Settings using 2 nic's

Hans van Eenennaam

We are using 2 nic's i our windows 2000 based servers.
On the first nic we are running following protocols:
Client for Microsoft networks
File and Print Sharing for Microsoft networks
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
On the second nic only Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
It occurs that we are not able to make a drive mapping to
the server altough al bindings are to the first nic. When
we enable the same protocols on the seconds nic we get
errors like duplicate name detected on the network.
What are we doing wrong??

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Hi Hans,

You have it configured correctly for the services. But maybe what you want to check is the
defualt gateways. You only want one default gateway configured and that should be on the
NIC for the external side. The NIC on the lcoal subnet should not have a default gateway. This
is most likely what is causing the error you have encountered. Remove the configured default
gateway on the internal NIC (leave it blank in TCPIP Properties) and then test your mappings
again.

Thanks,
Gary

--------------------
'--'From: "Hans van Eenennaam" <[email protected]>
'--'Sender: "Hans van Eenennaam" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: Settings using 2 nic's
'--'Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 04:54:14 -0700
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'
'--'We are using 2 nic's i our windows 2000 based servers.
'--'On the first nic we are running following protocols:
'--'Client for Microsoft networks
'--'File and Print Sharing for Microsoft networks
'--'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
'--'On the second nic only Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
'--'It occurs that we are not able to make a drive mapping to
'--'the server altough al bindings are to the first nic. When
'--'we enable the same protocols on the seconds nic we get
'--'errors like duplicate name detected on the network.
'--'What are we doing wrong??
'--'

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.