Setting web service timeout in vb.net

Bob Connolly

I have a vb.net windows console
program running on my pc that is serving as a client to pull down information
from a web service on a server. To do this I first added a Web reference (in
Solution Explorer) which I called AmiClmSvc_WebService (setting the Web
Reference URL property to point to the WSDL on my server with the web
service). Then in my code I have:

Dim AmiClmSvc_Proxy As New AmiClmSvc_WebService.AmiClmSvc

Then later I have:

Dim AmiClaimSummary_Result As Object
AmiClaimSummary_Result = _
AmiClmSvc_Proxy.AmiClaimSummary(SelectDate.ToString, SelectDate.ToString)

On this last step I am getting a timeout after 100 seconds, which I have
read is the default setting. I need to change the timeout value to something
higher than that, but do not know what syntax I need to use in order to do
that.

Can anyone help me with this?

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Bob,

As for the ASP.NET webservice, it has a "executionTimeout" setting at
server-side which control the timeout behavior of the server-side
webservice request(also ASP.NET page request), default value is 110 secs:

#httpRuntime Element (ASP.NET Settings Schema)
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e1f13641.aspx

Also, for .NET webservice client, the generated proxy (derived from
SoapHttpClientProtocol class) also has a timeout property(default value 90
secs). The following thread has mentioned both of them:

#Timeout value at the client proxy
http://bytes.com/forum/thread427729.html

You can try setting them to see whehter it helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

Bob Connolly

I went to the link that you sent. It tells me: "we can configure the
webservice's method call Timeout through the SoapHttpClientProtocol.Timeout
property"

How do I do this? It gives no specific directions and I could not find a
place where I could set this property. If I just put a line in my program
that says:

SoapHttpClientProtocol.Timeout = 100000

It give me a syntax error: "Declaration Expected"

--
Bob Connolly

Steven Cheng said:
[...]

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry for haven't clarified it. The "SoapHttpClientProtocol" is the base
class of the webservice proxy (you generate through "Add WebReference" or
wsdl.exe). Therefore, you can directly set this "Timeout" property on the
client-side proxy. For example:

================
private void button2_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
MyService.WebService myservice = new MyService.WebService();
myservice.Timeout = 1000 * 120;

string result = myservice.HelloWorld();
}

=================

also, you can manually open the auto-geneated proxy's code and found out
that your webservice proxy class is derived from "SoapHttpClientProtocol":

============
[System.ComponentModel.DesignerCategoryAttribute("code")]
[System.Web.Services.WebServiceBindingAttribute(Name="WebServiceSoap",
Namespace="http://tempuri.org/")]
public partial class WebService :
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol {

private System.Threading.SendOrPostCallback
HelloWorldOperationCompleted;

===================

If there is still anything unclear, welcome to post here.

From: =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIENvbm5vbGx5?= <Bob (e-mail address removed)>
Subject: RE: Setting web service timeout in vb.net
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 08:57:02 -0700

Bob Connolly

I was finally able to resolve this issue, though I do not fully understand
why. When I originally coded as you suggested:

AmiClmSvc_Proxy.Timeout = 60 * 60 * 1000 '60 minutes

I got the errors that I described where I was not getting intellisense and
syntax error: "Declaration expected". I was coding this statement at the
Module level directly under the dim statement where I defined the
AmiClmSvc_Proxy in the first place. I was finally able to resolve the issue
when I coded the above statement within a SUB within the module. Suddenly the
intellisense started working and the timeout was changed. I don't understand
why the statement would work in one place and not the other, but it does.
Perhaps you can explain why? In any event, it is working and I thank you for
your help.

--
Bob Connolly

From: =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIENvbm5vbGx5?= <Bob (e-mail address removed)>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 08:57:02 -0700
I went to the link that you sent. It tells me: "we can configure the
webservice's method call Timeout through the SoapHttpClientProtocol.Timeout
property"

How do I do this? It gives no specific directions and I could not find a
place where I could set this property. If I just put a line in my program
that says:

SoapHttpClientProtocol.Timeout = 100000

It give me a syntax error: "Declaration Expected"

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Bob,

I'm glad that you've got it working. As for the new question ( the
""Declaration expected" error) you mentioned, here is my understanding:

In your original code, you used the following statement:

AmiClmSvc_Proxy.Timeout = 60 * 60 * 1000 '60 minutes

Is "AmiClmSvc_Proxy" the class/type name of the webservice proxy?

If so, this is because "Timeout" is not a static(shared) property, but a
instance property. Therefore, you need to create/declare and instance of
the proxy type and assign this property through the instance. For example:

dim myproxy as New AmiClmSvc_Proxy

myproxy.Timeout = xxxxx

Hope this help further clarify it.

From: =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIENvbm5vbGx5?= <Bob (e-mail address removed)>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 08:57:02 -0700

:

[...]

Have you any further question on this? If there is anything else we can
help, welcome to post here.

From: =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIENvbm5vbGx5?= <Bob (e-mail address removed)>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 08:57:02 -0700

[...]

Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments
and
suggestions about how we can improve the support we provide to you.
Please

Bob Connolly

No, as I mentioned in a previous post, I was able to resolve the issue. Thank
you for your help!
--
Bob Connolly