Setting up newsgroups from Microsoft Server

Gerry

Robert

I have long been aware of Tom Koch's site but it has little to say about
Windows Mail. You are right when you say that instructions on setting up
newsgroups in Outlook Express work equally in Windows Mail. As a leisure
activity I spend a lot of time answering newsgroup questions so I am hoping
there is a Windows Mail equivalent as posting an Outlook Express page is not
ideal.

~~~~
Regards

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then you may have to edit such a site to fit Windows Mail better, and
put it on your own web site.

Gerry

Oh Frank that's what I just removed as a duplication thinking it was that
damn web based interface!

--
~~~~
Regards

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Gerry said:
Oh Frank that's what I just removed as a duplication thinking it was that
damn web based interface!

It's got some of the Web features. Other than that you can set up a new
account for msnews.microsoft.com just like in OE.

In WinMail go to Tools | Accounts | Add (or New) | News.
Set up an account for this news server:

msnews.microsoft.com

The server is free and does not require you to logon. This news server
carries over 2200 newsgroups related to Microsoft products and keeps
messages at least 30 days.

For more detail see

And here are two articles Tom Koch wrote about using newsgroups in Outlook
Express:

Outlook Express Newsgroups 101
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/IE/community/columns/newsgroups101.mspx

Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express: Power User Tips
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

Gerry

Thanks Frank.

~~~~
Regards

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

herbstr

Looking for help with windows Vista mail Newsgroups setup.

I can no longer login and give pswd for windows vista mail newsgroups. Just
keeps asking for login and pswd.
I bypass it and sometimes I can post msg in newsgroups sometimes not.
Worked for about 7 months then stopped.
I am looking for all the info to put after I select Tools , accounts
news.charter.net, select properties and I can select general tab and server
tab. Both of the last two tabs need info input and selected.
Is there info on Microsoft Vista help?

Apologize if wrong newsgeroup...
TIA

herbstr

Thank You for the help.
I went to Tools, Newsgroups, Properties, Server and added
"nntp.charter.net".
I left blank `Requires Authorization` , Log on , ` pswd ` etc.

I can now Post newsgroups and they go thru.
At the end of several sessions I get a couple of error msgs but the posts
have gone thru.
So it is working again. thanks