setting up new user, but it keeps telling me it's been disabled.. ??

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Setup' started by niteowl, Jan 13, 2005.

  1. niteowl

    niteowl Guest

    hi,

    I'm fairly new, well really new to Win2k Pro. and have just done a
    clean install of this O/S on three machines... the other two are
    working fine. this one, will not let me add a new user profile that I
    can log into.

    it gives me a message saying the profile has been disabled and to
    contact the administrator. Well, I'm the administrator, and can't
    seem to get a 2nd profile working.

    I have the "administrator" with a password that I can get into just
    fine. on bootup I hit Ctrl - Alt - Delete and it presents the login
    window, I enter the name and password and it's fine. I go to Users in
    the control panel and the profile I added before is there, "libuser"
    no password as that's how I want it... but I get that error message.

    The profile was listed as "Power User", and I changed it to
    "Restricted User", still the same error message.

    I removed it and added another user profile, no password and then
    tried a password, still the same message.

    I'm stumped, how do I add a new user that I can then actually boot up
    to? I"m sure this is something simple, but I haven't been able to get
    it fixed.

    This is a machine donated to the school I volunteer at and will be
    used in the library for internet access and word processing by the
    students.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    thanks,
    gary

    niteowl, Jan 13, 2005

  2. niteowl

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Control Panel|Users and
    Passwords|Advanced|Advanced|Users|"libuser"|Action|Properties|General and
    uncheck the box for 'Account is disabled'

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, Jan 13, 2005

  3. Hi Gary,

    Another way to create a new local user account is:

    1. Right click My Computer on the desktop to choose Manager
    2. Click Local User Account and Group under System Tools.
    3. Click Users, please check if the account you create is marked as a red
    cross, if so, it is disable.
    4. You can right click the account to choose Enable to enable the account.
    5. If you plan to create a new local user account, please right click the
    mouse the blank area to choose New User.
    6. Fill out the user name and password etc and then click OK.
    7. Use the user account to logon to the machine to test this.

    If you encounter any problem or receive an error message, please take a
    screen shot of the message and send it to for research.

    Any udpat, let us get in touch!

    Best regards,

    Rebecca Chen

    MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Rebecca Chen [MSFT], Jan 14, 2005
  4. niteowl

    niteowl Guest

    I was finally able to get back to this machine today and this worked
    beautifully, thanks.

    niteowl

    niteowl, Jan 25, 2005
  5. niteowl

    niteowl Guest

    thanks for the info. I was able to get back to this machine today...
    finally.

    this info worked perfectly.

    thanks,
    niteowl