setting up NAS Drives for internet use

Reaction score
please can someone help me I am trying to set up my nas drive so i am able to access it through the internet i am using a netgear router and a freecom nas drive,I have a static IP address and have set up an account with no ip.com for port forwarding, I ve enabled port forwarding i think but i am unable to reach my drive through the internet. I can ping the drive ip address and get a positive results. but now i am lost any help greatly appeciated but Please keep it simple

System SPec: XP professional
AVG anti Virus
Adaware, spybot & Defender
ADSL router Netgear make
2G of Ramwith T7300 Chips in a lenovo laptop

thankyou

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
what is your router model?

iirc you have to set the 'default dmz' to the ip of the drive, then type the IP of your internet connection into the address bar of any browser and it should send you straight to the NAS drive login

the only way to test it though is from another internet connection

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
connect to your router and login

then from the Main Menu, under Advanced, click the WAN Setup link

check the default DMZ box and input the IP of the NAS on your network, hit apply and you should be set :thumb:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
it will allow anyone that connects to your ip address to see the login screen for your NAS server

Reaction score
tried to type in the IP address in the dmz default box but it will not accept the last digit in the range, when I now try to access from another PC i get the following message

---------------------------
FTP Folder Error
Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you typed the file name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder.

Details:
The operation timed out

OK

Ask a Question