    LCD monitor will not work. When I go back to the settings the setup
    can see the second monitor but the "extend" check box is unchecked.

    I have an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO mobo.

    Metspitzer, Jun 21, 2012

  2. Metspitzer

    Metspitzer Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:14:20 -0400, Metspitzer <>
    wrote:

    >I was using an old VGA monitor as primary (VGA connector). I was
    >using an LCD monitor for a second monitor (DVI). It worked fine.
    >
    >I replaced the VGA monitor with another LCD monitor using a HDMI.
    >
    >When I try to extend the second monitor nothing happens. The existing
    >LCD monitor will not work. When I go back to the settings the setup
    >can see the second monitor but the "extend" check box is unchecked.
    >
    >I have an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO mobo.

    BTW I just tried starting the computer with the DVI monitor plugged
    in only. It works. When I plug in the HDMI it becomes the primary
    display and the other monitor goes blank.

    Metspitzer, Jun 21, 2012

  3. Metspitzer

    wrote:

    >I was using an old VGA monitor as primary (VGA connector). I was
    >using an LCD monitor for a second monitor (DVI). It worked fine.
    >
    >I replaced the VGA monitor with another LCD monitor using a HDMI.
    >
    >When I try to extend the second monitor nothing happens. The existing
    >LCD monitor will not work. When I go back to the settings the setup
    >can see the second monitor but the "extend" check box is unchecked.
    >
    >I have an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO mobo.

    Since everything else failed.........I read the instructions. It says
    HDMI + DVI not supported.
    Never mind

    Metspitzer, Jun 21, 2012
  4. Metspitzer

    Flasherly Guest

    On Jun 21, 6:14 pm, Metspitzer <> wrote:
    > I was using an old VGA monitor as primary (VGA connector). I was
    > using an LCD monitor for a second monitor (DVI). It worked fine.
    >
    > I replaced the VGA monitor with another LCD monitor using a HDMI.
    >
    > When I try to extend the second monitor nothing happens. The existing
    > LCD monitor will not work. When I go back to the settings the setup
    > can see the second monitor but the "extend" check box is unchecked.
    >
    > I have an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO mobo.

    I don't use HDMI (Digital MANAGEMENT hasn't yet set well with me for
    purposes I haven't largely encountered need to meet). If you ran two
    without issue through VGA & DVI, that may be indicative of all that
    the videoboard is capable, that it's a matter of ensuring the adapters
    (when using two known and working ports) are providing correct
    signaling. Beyond which, you'll have to hunt down the ports you're
    attempting for what issues are at stake, at what pin signals, possibly
    inclusive of encoded protocol "package" timings, in order to determine
    compliance and if at all that's possible within means you may be
    attempting to circumvent, given forethought for the Hollywood scheme
    of progressive computer standards.

    Flasherly, Jun 21, 2012
  5. Metspitzer

    Pen Guest

    On 6/21/2012 6:40 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:14:20 -0400, Metspitzer <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I was using an old VGA monitor as primary (VGA connector). I was
    >> using an LCD monitor for a second monitor (DVI). It worked fine.
    >>
    >> I replaced the VGA monitor with another LCD monitor using a HDMI.
    >>
    >> When I try to extend the second monitor nothing happens. The existing
    >> LCD monitor will not work. When I go back to the settings the setup
    >> can see the second monitor but the "extend" check box is unchecked.
    >>
    >> I have an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO mobo.

    > Since everything else failed.........I read the instructions. It says
    > HDMI + DVI not supported.
    > Never mind

    I think your problem is that HDMI and DVI are the same
    video. HDMI adds audio to the cable.

    Pen, Jun 22, 2012
  6. Metspitzer

    Paul Guest

    Metspitzer wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:14:20 -0400, Metspitzer <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I was using an old VGA monitor as primary (VGA connector). I was
    >> using an LCD monitor for a second monitor (DVI). It worked fine.
    >>
    >> I replaced the VGA monitor with another LCD monitor using a HDMI.
    >>
    >> When I try to extend the second monitor nothing happens. The existing
    >> LCD monitor will not work. When I go back to the settings the setup
    >> can see the second monitor but the "extend" check box is unchecked.
    >>
    >> I have an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO mobo.

    > Since everything else failed.........I read the instructions. It says
    > HDMI + DVI not supported.
    > Never mind

    "HDMI + DVI not supported."

    Bingo.

    Some of these chips, they only have one digital output. And you
    can either use DVI or HDMI, but not both at the same time.

    That has also happened on a couple models of sub-$50 video cards.
    The cards have multiple connectors on the faceplate, but a
    couple of them can't be used at the same time. You have to
    read the customer reviews on Newegg, for confirmation of
    such design stupidity. The product description may
    conveniently forget to mention it. Either the GPUs were
    rejects, or they were doing cost saving, by not adding a
    TMDS transmitter to make another independent interface.

    Some GPUS, they have auxiliary digital busses for output. When
    you want a particular flavor of connector for the video card
    faceplate, you add a chip. So you might add a "TV chip", to go
    from digital bus to Composite or S-video. Or a "VGA chip", to
    convert from the digital bus to VGA. Or a "TMDS transmitter"
    to make a separate HDMI or DVI. Such a scheme adds flexibility,
    but at the price of having to add chips to the design.

    As for the folks at Asus, they haven't always been the best
    at addressing this in the user manual. Many of the early
    multiple output motherboards, made no mention of any
    restrictions. The users had to figure it out.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 22, 2012
  7. On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:14:20 -0400, Metspitzer <>
    wrote:

    >I was using an old VGA monitor as primary (VGA connector). I was
    >using an LCD monitor for a second monitor (DVI). It worked fine.
    >
    >I replaced the VGA monitor with another LCD monitor using a HDMI.
    >
    >When I try to extend the second monitor nothing happens. The existing
    >LCD monitor will not work. When I go back to the settings the setup
    >can see the second monitor but the "extend" check box is unchecked.
    >
    >I have an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO mobo.

    And what happens when you check it?

    Loren Pechtel, Jun 23, 2012