Setting shared GPU aperture size

Reaction score
Hello. Just a quick question for anyone who knows-

How do you set the shared memory aperture for the GPU on PCI-e boards? On my old system it said 'Set AGP aperture', and was pretty explanitory... But I can't see a similar option.

Or do PCI-e cards not bother asking and know how to sort themselves out??

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
tomsega said:
Hello. Just a quick question for anyone who knows-

How do you set the shared memory aperture for the GPU on PCI-e boards? On my old system it said 'Set AGP aperture', and was pretty explanitory... But I can't see a similar option.

Or do PCI-e cards not bother asking and know how to sort themselves out??
They grew up Tom and are big boys now, they take care of it for you. ;)

:D

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
They grew up Tom and are big boys now, they take care of it for you. ;)

Aah. Hardware personification is always good.

Still, I LIKED being able to set my own aperture. Seeing as I have a 512mb graphics card now, I was thinking if I could get it down to 64mb to free up that system RAM...

M

mikysylv

Sorry to but in on this,

I 'm a newbie and have a small question is my current 250W PSU too small for a 128M graphics card? I'm about to invest in a TFT 19" and thought I might also upgade the card. my desktop is a dimension 8100 P4 1.7Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 2 32m, 1.2G of Rambus "doh! bought in 2001.

PS I read some of the other postings re AGP 4X/8x and I think I've got my head round it however I need a paracetomol!

ta in advance

muckshifter

Reaction score
mikysylv said:
Sorry to but in on this,

I 'm a newbie and have a small question is my current 250W PSU too small for a 128M graphics card? I'm about to invest in a TFT 19" and thought I might also upgade the card. my desktop is a dimension 8100 P4 1.7Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 2 32m, 1.2G of Rambus "doh! bought in 2001.

PS I read some of the other postings re AGP 4X/8x and I think I've got my head round it however I need a paracetomol!

ta in advance
Nope you should be fine with that PSU ... Dell under-rate them anyway. ;)

Still, I LIKED being able to set my own aperture. Seeing as I have a 512mb graphics card now, I was thinking if I could get it down to 64mb to free up that system RAM...
huh! ... this is 2006 not 1998... leave it alone.

:rolleyes:

M

mikysylv

Thanks for that. I assume that it would be nice to leave the PCI slot adjacent to agp empty to stop the card from getting hot?

muckshifter

Reaction score
mikysylv said:
Thanks for that. I assume that it would be nice to leave the PCI slot adjacent to agp empty to stop the card from getting hot?
It is essential to leave that PCI slot empty ... not to aid cooling but it is a video slott anyway ... ;)

:)

Ask a Question