Set default priority

I would like to know, if it is possible, to set/change the default priority
from a "NORMAL" to "BELOW NORMAL" for all processes at boot on my win2k3
server. I noticed if I change the priority of "explorer" process to "BELOW
NORMAL", any new process will inherit such a priority. IIRC, the "explorer"
process on any windows OSes is similar to any flavor Windows Desktop Manager
on any Un*x/Linux OSes. If that is the case, then what I want is to be able
to set/change the priority on all processes before the "explorer", i.e.
right when the win2k3 server boots so that all processes in the taskmgr will
reflect their priority to the new set/change level. Is this possible? If so,
how?

Thanks.

Feng Mao

Hi Mazi,

Thank you for posting!

Mazi, I am afraid that I cannot find out the registry key or method to
change the default priority for all process. If you want to change the
priority of all server threads in relation to the base priority of the
foreground process, you can configure it through the Windows NT Registry.

NOTE: Higher priority can give better server performance at the cost of
local responsiveness. Lower priority balances server needs with the needs
of other processes on the system.

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious, system-wide
problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT to correct them.
Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of
Registry Editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.

1. Start Registry Editor (REGEDT32.EXE) and go to the following subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

2. From the Edit menu, choose Add Value.

3. Enter the following values:

Value Name: ThreadPriority
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Decimal: <value below>

Decimal Description
-------------------
0 Process running at background priority
1 Server threads running at same priority as foreground
(Default)
2 Server threads running one priority higher than foreground
15 Server threads running at real-time priority (Not
Recommended)

NOTE: A value of 15 should never be used in production. If the server
becomes busy, other important system process could become resource starved.

4. Quit Registry Editor and restart Windows NT.

WARNING: With the default Server ThreadPriority set to 1, changing the
tasking option to "Foreground and Background Applications Equally
Responsive" sets the server service priority to the same level as the
foreground and background priorities. This could cause your server service
to degrade in performance because it must now share time equally with other
background processes.

By the way, may I know why you wanna change the default priority to BELOW
NORMAL. As all processes are running in the same Priority, I cannot see the
benefit to do it.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "!SpamMe" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
| Subject: Set default priority
| Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:43:25 GMT
|
| Hi,
|
| I would like to know, if it is possible, to set/change the default
priority
| from a "NORMAL" to "BELOW NORMAL" for all processes at boot on my win2k3
| server. I noticed if I change the priority of "explorer" process to "BELOW
| NORMAL", any new process will inherit such a priority. IIRC, the
"explorer"
| process on any windows OSes is similar to any flavor Windows Desktop
Manager
| on any Un*x/Linux OSes. If that is the case, then what I want is to be
able
| to set/change the priority on all processes before the "explorer", i.e.
| right when the win2k3 server boots so that all processes in the taskmgr
will
| reflect their priority to the new set/change level. Is this possible? If
so,
| how?
|
| Thanks.
|
| --
| Mazi

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try to see if I can manage to
set/change priority through the Windows NT Registry on my Win2k3 server.
However, I don't know which one is the base process to set/change and would
appreciate if anyone out here can tell me.

As with lower priority, what you said is true; however, if I have all
processes set/change to "BELOW NORMAL" priority, I don't any difference in
responsiveness of each process. That way, I can introduce any other new
processes that will require a better responsiveness with a higher priority.

--
Mazi

Feng Mao said:
> [...]

| Hi,
|
| I would like to know, if it is possible, to set/change the default
priority
| from a "NORMAL" to "BELOW NORMAL" for all processes at boot on my win2k3
| server. I noticed if I change the priority of "explorer" process to "BELOW
| NORMAL", any new process will inherit such a priority. IIRC, the
"explorer"
| process on any windows OSes is similar to any flavor Windows Desktop
Manager
| on any Un*x/Linux OSes. If that is the case, then what I want is to be
able
| to set/change the priority on all processes before the "explorer", i.e.
| right when the win2k3 server boots so that all processes in the taskmgr
will
| reflect their priority to the new set/change level. Is this possible? If

Feng Mao

Hi Mazi,

I understand the reason why you need low the priority of the default
processes. My suggestion is to keep the priority of default processes
unchanged. Let us specify the process you want to run in a higher priority.
I think it will be easier to be implemented.

To run a program and specify its base priority at a command prompt, use the
following syntax:

"start /<priority> <program>" (without the quotation marks)

The following sample steps describe how to run Notepad with Realtime
priority:

1. At a command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER:
" start /realtime notepad.exe" (without the quotation marks)

2. To verify the priority level, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to open the Windows
NT Security dialog box.

3. Click Task Manager.

4. Click the Processes tab.

5. On the View menu, click Select Columns, click to select the Base
Priority check box, and then click OK.

6. In the list of processes, locate Notepad.exe and confirm its base
priority level.

For the documentation, you may read the following article in Microsoft
Knowledge base:

191771 How to Alter a Program's Base Priority at a Command Prompt
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=191771

> [...]

| > Responsive" sets the server service priority to the same level as the
| > foreground and background priorities. This could cause your server
service
| > to degrade in performance because it must now share time equally with
| other
| > background processes.
| >
| > By the way, may I know why you wanna change the default priority to
BELOW
| > NORMAL. As all processes are running in the same Priority, I cannot see
| the
| > benefit to do it.
| >
| > Have a nice day!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so

cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-onlin

e.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!wn14feed!worldnet.att.n
| > et!attbi_s51.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail
| > |
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | I would like to know, if it is possible, to set/change the default
| > priority
| > | from a "NORMAL" to "BELOW NORMAL" for all processes at boot on my
win2k3
| > | server. I noticed if I change the priority of "explorer" process to
| "BELOW
| > | NORMAL", any new process will inherit such a priority. IIRC, the
| > "explorer"
| > | process on any windows OSes is similar to any flavor Windows Desktop
| > Manager
| > | on any Un*x/Linux OSes. If that is the case, then what I want is to be
| > able
| > | to set/change the priority on all processes before the "explorer",
i.e.
| > | right when the win2k3 server boots so that all processes in the
taskmgr
| > will
| > | reflect their priority to the new set/change level. Is this possible?
If
| > so,
| > | how?
| > |
| > | Thanks.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Mazi
| > |
| > |
| > |

Thank you for the explanation and information and I have appreciated that.

--
Mazi

Feng Mao said:
> [...]

| the
| > benefit to do it.
| >
| > Have a nice day!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================
| rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "!SpamMe" <[email protected]>
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
| > | Subject: Set default priority
| > | Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:43:25 GMT

cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-onlin

e.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!wn14feed!worldnet.att.n
| > et!attbi_s51.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail
| > |
| > | I would like to know, if it is possible, to set/change the default
| > priority
| > | from a "NORMAL" to "BELOW NORMAL" for all processes at boot on my
win2k3
| > | server. I noticed if I change the priority of "explorer" process to
| "BELOW
| > | NORMAL", any new process will inherit such a priority. IIRC, the
| > "explorer"
| > | process on any windows OSes is similar to any flavor Windows Desktop
| > Manager
| > | on any Un*x/Linux OSes. If that is the case, then what I want is to be
| > able
| > | to set/change the priority on all processes before the "explorer",
i.e.
| > | right when the win2k3 server boots so that all processes in the
taskmgr
| > will
| > | reflect their priority to the new set/change level. Is this possible?
If
| > so,
| > | how?
| > |
| > | Thanks.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Mazi
| > |
| > |
| > |

Feng Mao

Hi Mazi,

I am glad that my information is helpful.

Do not hesitate to post your question to the newsgroup in the future, Mazi.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "!SpamMe" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
| Subject: Re: Set default priority
| Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:59:12 GMT
|
| Thank you for the explanation and information and I have appreciated that.
|
| --
| Mazi
|
| | > Hi Mazi,
| >
| > I understand the reason why you need low the priority of the default
| > processes. My suggestion is to keep the priority of default processes
| > unchanged. Let us specify the process you want to run in a higher
| priority.
| > I think it will be easier to be implemented.
| >
| > To run a program and specify its base priority at a command prompt, use
| the
| > following syntax:
| >
| > "start /<priority> <program>" (without the quotation marks)
| >
| > The following sample steps describe how to run Notepad with Realtime
| > priority:
| >
| > 1. At a command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER:
| > " start /realtime notepad.exe" (without the quotation marks)
| >
| > 2. To verify the priority level, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to open the
Windows
| > NT Security dialog box.
| >
| > 3. Click Task Manager.
| >
| > 4. Click the Processes tab.
| >
| > 5. On the View menu, click Select Columns, click to select the Base
| > Priority check box, and then click OK.
| >
| > 6. In the list of processes, locate Notepad.exe and confirm its base
| > priority level.
| >
| > For the documentation, you may read the following article in Microsoft
| > Knowledge base:
| >
| > 191771 How to Alter a Program's Base Priority at a Command Prompt
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=191771
| >
| > Have a nice day!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================
| rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "!SpamMe" <[email protected]>
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
| > | Subject: Re: Set default priority
| > | Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:42:55 GMT

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXS01.phx.gbl!cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA0

1.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border

2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!wns13feed!worldnet.att.net!attbi_s
| > 52.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail
| > |
| > | Thank you for your suggestion. I will try to see if I can manage to
| > | set/change priority through the Windows NT Registry on my Win2k3
server.
| > | However, I don't know which one is the base process to set/change and
| > would
| > | appreciate if anyone out here can tell me.
| > |
| > | As with lower priority, what you said is true; however, if I have all
| > | processes set/change to "BELOW NORMAL" priority, I don't any
difference
| in
| > | responsiveness of each process. That way, I can introduce any other
new
| > | processes that will require a better responsiveness with a higher
| > priority.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Mazi
| > |
| > |

| > Registry.

| of
| > needs

| > system-wide

| subkey:

| > |

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

| foreground

| server
| > | starved.

| > service
| > | other

| > BELOW
| see
| > | the

| so
| > | rights.

| > |

cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-onlin

| > |

e.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!wn14feed!worldnet.att.n
| > | "BELOW
Desktop
| be
| > i.e.